1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Review My Band's Song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Jan 17, 2012.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    a demo of the first track from the album we're trying to put together.

Input appreciated. Recorded in my basement with a Presonus Audiobox Digital 2-track recorder. Bass, Lead Vox, and Production by me. Not a professional recording, but it's a start. (Note, the drummer's metronome died in the middle of the recording, so the drums will probably sound a tad disjointed, and also, my vocals were a bit rough on the day we did this, so my vocal track isn't the best it could be.)

Only Human by Omnipresent on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

If you like it, it's downloadable for free,
    and if you really like it...

Like us on facebook:
    Omnipresent | Facebook

And just btw:
    There's another track (an Instrumental acoustic piece that acts as a segue into a sequence of 3 other songs yet to be recorded.) up there as well, just in case anyone cares to listen to some more.

Thanks and have a great day! :)

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Keep practicing.... you've got a good idea of song writing. Good production considering it's probably your first recording. The flanger was a little unnecessary but other than it was alright production wise.

Oh and fire your singer.... unless you like 80's new wave.

3. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010

Yeah, it's the first legitimate recording we've done (multi tracked, etc.) So thanks for the complement. Plus with limited space, gear, and a rather crappy computer for recording purposes (it's a netbook, so naturally, there's not a ton of powerful audio processing stuff on it.) I think we pulled it out pretty well.

And as for the singer, we like him. A bit different in sound than most typical rock singers, but he fits for us. We've thought about hiring another, but in the end, it never sounds right to any of the three of us.
    I especially like him, as a matter of fact, you could say we're pretty much the same person. ;)

Thanks for the input and opinions, though.

4. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Bump.

5. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    OK, here goes... the drummer needs to relax, he is not in the pocket, he is not making the song feel good, he is taking away from it. I am not saying fire him, the problems are fixable, he needs to play along with a metronome or to records more often, and he needs to be more conscious of the feel, and how he is sitting in the groove. I am judging this from the standpoint of professional music, so I am being rough but honest. The singing is cool, but I think you need to relax your voice, it sounds a bit strained, like your throat is tight.. I am no singer, but I am guessing it is about your breath control.. Try to make is feel more natural and comfortable, effortless when you sing, and it will come across that way. Also, the drum cymbals sound out of phase on this recording, if you used overhead mics, I think they were not situated properly, or it could just be the EQ settings you used.. One well placed mic is better than 2 out of phase overheads. The song and songwriting is decent, and with a better drum track, and a few more takes on the vox, this song could be radio ready.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, drummer needs to work on his time. Rushing and dragging.

7. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, it's our first recording, so there are several kinks in it. (For one, the metronome our drummer was using died in the middle of drum tracking! Thus the dragging and rushing. :p) And usually, the guy cuts loose live, and sounds great. I think he was thinking too hard during the take, really. We're probably going to re-record it later, after we've finished some other songs. Now that we know the process a bit better (and I've figured out some better techniques), we should be able to make it much more clean and tight.

On the vocals: Yeah, I was kind of pushing it a bit. As I mentioned, we've never recorded before now, so I was kind of nervous, and not quite sure how hard or soft or whatever to sing for it to sound good. I definitely want to change that.

Any comments on the mix of the instruments? Anything not loud enough or too loud? Just for future reference.

8. The bass lacks lows. I understand you might be going for that Lee/Squire sound, but they have a certain fundamental growl.

9. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Yeah, I agree with you there. I couldn't get enough lows out of my amp without making the recorder clip, which led to me not getting near the right amount of low like I wanted.

And by the way, I envy you for the bass in your pic. :p

10. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    Nice song! The bass needed a little more low end though. The guitar sounded great. The drumming was a little too weird in a couple places, but other than that, good job! I think it sounds a bit Rush-like.

11. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010

Thank you. Glad you like it. Yeah, bass problem: clipping caused by too much bass frequency, so I ended up not having enough.
    But yeah, thanks man. :D

12. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Just a bump

13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would like to hear it preformed live, the guitars sound like mud, and the bass is to mid rangy, but thats probably all in the recording.

14. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks. We're going to probably put a live recording up.

15. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I actually kinda dig the vocals, it has potential