Review of 2 newbies.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 24, 2005.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Over the last 2 days, I've gotten 2 new basses. A Sadowsky Metro RS4 and a passive 4 string Yamaha BB Series in metallic orange.
    Sadowsky: After spending some serious time with this bass, I realized early that I can't play this thing with the p'ups wide open. It'll blow the roof off of the joint! This is the first bass that I've played that I can thump, not pluck, the G string, and get a huge sound. The sustain on this thing should be illegal. The lows are like Barry White's voice, the mids growl like the werewolf, and the highs are like glass. Boy, tell me THAT wasn't corny! :spit: This is clearly a "first and only grab" bass. Even in passive mode, this thing has huge balls. Worth every penny.

Yammy BB: Bass Player was right. It is very hard to find fault with this bass. It's passive with a p/j configuration. VERY nice mids and lows. I thought the slap tone was sweet as well. LaMarquis found it hard to believe that it was an inexpensive bass. He started playing these false harmonic runs, and every note rang clear. It's also VERY easy to play. You can pull off some Rocco 16th note staccato riffs with no problems.

I played both through a GK2001 RB with a GK Neo 4x12 cab. I HIGHLY reccommend both, especially the Sadowsky Metro. It ain't just hype, those things are worth the scratch!
  2. Yeah, Woodchuck, I just saw those new Yammies in the new Musiciansfriend catalog last night.

They look pretty nice, and at about $500, I'm getting tempted. I just wish they made the 5 string in orange.

Like I need another bass. :rolleyes:

3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Awesome! Got any pics?
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the BB series reissues too.
    Two of my favorite bassists used these - Andy Rourke and Peter Hook.
  5. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    LOVING Andy Rourke, David! He sold his Yammy BB on ebay a few years back - the one he pretty much recorded everything with. Amazing.
  6. I love those BB series basses

if they made a fretless version I'd own one by now
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    EDIT: Something really wierd happened deleted almost all of my post.

I got my mitts on one of the older BB404F from the MF clearance and it's one hell of a bass for the scratch and makes my fretless playing much more enjoyable. Best fretless I've played under a grand. No joke. It's a great bass, great feel, great tone, and all stock. Electronics are solid and sound great.

I'm slowly saving my scratch for a Metro though.
  8. I got the Yamaha BB414 in metalic orange, and I love it! Looks a little somethin like this:

Attached Files:

9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I also have the metallic orange one.
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Bass Player magazine have a complete riview oh the B,s series and all the report is about how good they are for the price,this basses may cost around $$90 or $1,000 in the real world,thank,s Yamaha :bassist: :hyper:
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not positive on your Sadowsky, but on mine, the treble and bass controls are boost only. The bass is flat with them all the way down. The literature specifically recommends against playing with the tone controls all the way up. I don't boost the treble at all, and give it just a smidgen of bass.
  12. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The BB614 comes in a fretless version- the BB614F
  13. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice review, but where are the pics!!!! You know THA RULEZZ!!! :D
  14. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    been waiting awhile to post this...