1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review of Ampeg SVT12HE (pair)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crabby, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I posted comments of this cab before but this week I managed to scoop a second one brand new and have completed my "mini rig".

So I have an Eden Navigator pre amp and a Tapco Juice power amp which puts out 1400 watts bridged mono. I am running the amp bridged with a speakon to speakon into the first cab and a second speakon cable into the second cab.

My rack sits perfectly on top of this mini stack and looks cool as the cabs are the same width and depth as my SKB six space rack. Very clean looking rig. I will try to get some pics up soon.

I was amazed at how good the single Ampeg 112 cab sounded through this rig and was really impressed with the power handling. The SVT12HE is rated at 300w RMS and 600 peak. I pushed it pretty hard and was impressed with the amount of juice it could hanlde without farting out. I did most of my cab testing playing my SR5 through the rig. The cab seems to sound better and better the louder its turned up. very growly and tight with a very good low end responce without being boomy in the least.

Adding a second 112 cab to the setup was a revalation! The whole rig is so much louder and huge sounding and I am confidant that this set up will be more than ample for most of my needs where my SVT810E cab is not practical to bring.

The 112's each have a horn but they have very nice attenuators on the back and I have set it up so the bottom cab has the horn dialed off and the top cab set about half way.

I think the secret to the fabulous tone I am getting at higher volumes out of these cabs is that I 'm driving them with a ton of power. even at low volumes, the tone is so rich and full. Different of course from the hornless tone of my 810 cab but not over the top bright or clacky at all. I like the horns in these cabs much better than the horn in my old Eden 210.

These cabs look really cool with the tolex and big spring loaded handles on the sides. Each wighs about 46-47 pounds I believe and they are very compact. I have a Nissan Sentra and I was easily abble to fit both on the back seat with my rack on the front seat. I love my 810 cab but I think these two little guys are gonna get a lot more use.

I had considered a 410 for a secondary cab but still had issues with fitting one in my car. 410's are a pain in the butt to carry as well. The two single 12 cabs combo has had my eye for a long time but I was always concerned that I wouldn't have enough volume. Well, this rig is loud, deep and full sounding and adding a second cab provided a dramatic increase in overall volume! The setup sounds way bigger than it looks.

Although not quite as portable as the single 12 combo I had before, (SWR Workingman's 12), one of these Ampeg cabs and my rack is still pretty easy to manage and sounds so much bigger, warmer and deep. Adding the secon cab makes it a little monster rig.

I have not been able to compare the Ampeg 112 to any other 112 cabs on the market as they are non existant in my neck of the woods. Given the power handling capacity and lower sensitivity ratings of these cabs, I can't imaging that they would not hold their own with the more highly sought after 112 cabs out there. I think the key is having a decent amount of juice to power them. My 100w combo just didnt have the same quality of tone when using one of the Ampegs as an extension cab.

Hope this is of some use to my fellow TB'ers.:)

Crabby

2. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Soumds nice! I had been thinking about one of these to go with my WM 12.

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thats exactly what led me to buy one. It actually is a very good match with the WM12. It was amazing how loud that combo is. I found the speaker in my WM12 to sound very different that the Ampeg cab as the WM12 speaker is much more barky or honky sounding. Together they complimented each other well and were well matched as far as sensitivity.

By that I mean when adding the Ampeg to the WM12, each speaker was putting out the same volume. I had a more sensitive cab (Eden 115) and when plugged into the WM12, it would completely overpower the built in speaker and didn't sound good when the amp was cranked up.

I was very happy with this setup but then tried the Ampeg cab with my big rig and was so impressed with how much clean power it could handle, I traded in my WM12 for another Ampeg 112. I know I'm gonna miss that little combo eventually but the GAS got me!

4. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    good review.
    I'm interested to see more reviews comparing the Ampeg to other mini 12s.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    me too. there aren't many reviews of the Ampeg 112 available as its a pretty new cab.