Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review of "Chuck"... the latest release from Sum41

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Money, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sum 41 is an awsome band in my opinion... Possibly the best new band out there.

All Killer No Filler was kinda poppy, but very catchy... nice melodies, memorable lyrics.

Does this Look Infected? was a bit darker, but still had elements of pop in it, with a few slightly "go lucky" songs

Chuck is a completely different animal... Take Bad Religion, Metallica, Pantera, and AC/DC and roll them into one giant rock `n roll beast. This is Chuck.

The lyrics are reflective on our current state of affairs, war and such... The music is fast, hard, and forces you to pay attention.

The bassist doesn't do much, but it works... He isn't a out front bassist, he is there to support Dave and Derryk, and he does it very well... following the guitar, and just giving the band that extra bottom end growl.

Steve-O's drumming is amazing... His playing has improved with each album, and his playing is much better than on DTLI... And that was released about a year before "Chuck" was done with recording.

Dave's solos are very Dimebagish... yet, soulful... Nothing is forced or overdone, but it fits in perfectly... He can join my band any day.

Derryk's vocals kick ass. His raspy voice is awsome, and fits in perfectly... He has vocal presence that is rarely seen in bands today.

All in all, 9/10 stars...

If you are into punk and metal... this album is the perfect love child for both genres. Screamin solos, fast tempos, and headbang inducing music in general.

Buy this CD

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I heard "the bitter end" and I dig it... that's about all I like on that disc I'm afraid.