review of GK 700rb-II Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesMan845, Oct 18, 2003.

1. I wanted to know if anyone knows of a printed review of the Gk 700rb-II combo? I have been waiting for a long time figuring bassplayer would get around to it, but I guess they are not going to review the amp.

Dan, do you know of one ???

Currently I use the 2000RB for gigs and the MB150s for rehearsal/practice. I am considering replacing both with the 700RB combo , but I like to read reviews before I head off to buy something.

2. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a 700RB/112 combo and love it. It has tons of head room, has punch for days and has a fantastic built in DI. (I consistantly get compliments from soundmen using this rig)

They don't make a 12" combo anymore, so you'll get a 15 or 210. In either case, you might want to run another cab with it. A 212 with the 210 combo would kill (IMHO).

I also have the newer 1001RB II head and the preamp is voiced slightly different, but not by much. They are both easy to dial in great sound.

The GK combos have the tilt back and roll system that makes it very easy to move around town with.

The "seamless" crossover they brag about is outstanding. I own three GKs and am a big fan. The first one I picked up was the 700RB combo.
  3. thanks for your review mattski. I have been a huge fan myself of the "GK sound".
    I've had amps by ampeg, carvin and marshall but none of them have the punch/growl combo
    you get from a GK.

I am really curious about the new biamp system they are using now in the next generation of amps/cabs.
  4. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I have owned a GK 700RB 210 for about 3 months and I love it. The 2nd generation have a little more power (100 watss into the woofers at 4 ohms), warmer sounding and studier boards and input jacks.

from what I understand they are using them same Biamp system as the 1st generation (the amp I have) and I have had no problems. I haven't really noticed a whole lotof difference except it gives you a choice when you want a bit of dirt going through the tweeter or not.

Overall I love this amp!
  5. Bass Guitar Magazine did a review of the 700RB-II in the last issue. It's the one with Gene Simmons on the cover.

The new biamp system is called Horn Biamping. The main amp puts out 320 watts into the woofers and there is a seperate 50 watt amp just for the horn. It's fixed at 5k and above while the main amp can be either full range or 5k and below.
  6. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    sounds like nothing new to me in biamp design.

GK has had that design for a while now.
  7. Yes we've been doing it for awhile now but it's a departure from the traditional biamping method of seperating the signal between two cabinets.