1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Review of JJ/Tesla ECC-803S Long-plate preamp tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Earlier in another thread (12AX7 preferences) there were several talking about the newer JJ long-plate ECC-803S offering ("higher gain" 12AX7). I, like others here, ordered one and tried it in V1 of my Demeter VTBP-201 preamp for several days then took it "out" to our shows this past weekend.

Gotta say that I was pretty unimpressed. The amount of headroom before breakup was very limited compared to the JAN GE 7025 tube in the same slot. Even with the passive JB-2, I was relegated to using only the "low" attenuated input on the Demeter pre (in addition to fairly low preamp volume settings) in order to get a fairly consistent "cleanish" tone with that Demeter "sheen" that typically comes so easy with the 201.

The JJ tube, while getting quite dirty as mentioned above, did have a nice "overdriven" evenness to its output (even-ordered harmonics sounded nice) - I was just not as impressed as I was "expecting" to be given the JJ's I've used before. The GE tube just completely overwhelms this one (for me - I think this would make an excellent guitar preamp tube).

I'll find somewhere else to use the tube - it just won't be in my bass signal chain.

Jay

2. Yeah this tube is definetly aimed for guitar players, I don't think it works well in bass amps.