Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review of JJ/Tesla ECC-803S Long-plate preamp tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Earlier in another thread (12AX7 preferences) there were several talking about the newer JJ long-plate ECC-803S offering ("higher gain" 12AX7). I, like others here, ordered one and tried it in V1 of my Demeter VTBP-201 preamp for several days then took it "out" to our shows this past weekend.

Gotta say that I was pretty unimpressed. The amount of headroom before breakup was very limited compared to the JAN GE 7025 tube in the same slot. Even with the passive JB-2, I was relegated to using only the "low" attenuated input on the Demeter pre (in addition to fairly low preamp volume settings) in order to get a fairly consistent "cleanish" tone with that Demeter "sheen" that typically comes so easy with the 201.

The JJ tube, while getting quite dirty as mentioned above, did have a nice "overdriven" evenness to its output (even-ordered harmonics sounded nice) - I was just not as impressed as I was "expecting" to be given the JJ's I've used before. The GE tube just completely overwhelms this one (for me - I think this would make an excellent guitar preamp tube).

I'll find somewhere else to use the tube - it just won't be in my bass signal chain.

Jay

2. Yeah this tube is definetly aimed for guitar players, I don't think it works well in bass amps.