1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review of my Ampeg SVP-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I picked up an Ampeg SVP-CL (w/ a QSC1450) about two months ago and have had the chance to get it out to 5 gigs or so.

I can now officially say it rocks!:bassist:

I am closer to my ideal tone now. Though many people love the 800RB (my last amp) i always found it thin sounding. I would always have to scoop the mids to get a nice fat, smooth, warm sound ...which also lost me in the mix. the SVP-CL gets me that fat and warm tone i was looking for while still keeping the mids in the mix.

I am digging the pre-amp 110% for finger style funky groove music. I don't really think it sounds great for slapping ( i only spend about 3 mins slapping when i play out so no biggie). You can use the ultra bass dial and scoop the mids and get that scooped mids slap tone but i can't turn around and mess with knobs during a tune. Most people would agree solid states are better for slapping anyway.

So anyway I'm happy.

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I find it strange that you like the slap sound with the Midrange taken out. I always found it better to have the mids either flat or boosted when doing anything slap related. Suts through the mix better and makes your bass very authoritative. Plus, the lows and highs only slap tone seems to turn into thunderous clack in the live setting - unless you are soloing with the drummer, this thunderous clack turns into background rumble with the whole band. I find the mids give each bass note a solid growl/edge to it - which allows notes to really jump out. Just my opinion.