Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review of my Esh...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by used13, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Hey guys, Now that I've had time to get to know this beast, I thought some of you might like to hear a review.

I bought this bass ( Esh Various V) about 6months ago. My first impression of it was "Oh, My God!!!" It's Transparent Amber over a Hungarian Ash body with a satin finish, and quite possibly the most beautiful bass I've ever seen. Even my Guitar player was blown away by it. Then I played it and was totally blown away by it. It has 2 Kent Armstrong MM pickups( one in the neck, and one in the middle MM style) and a Piezo bridge. The Piezo was kinda harsh and noisy at first, but then I found the attenuator and just dialed it in.

Now for the long haul report: Warning, I haven't been near as nice to this bass as I should have been.

Looks- after 6 months of beeing my primary( now only ) bass, this thing still looks ALMOST as good as the day I got it. The only cosmetic flaws are because of stupid mistakes on my part. The top of the fretboard( the part I see when I play) has some scaring from letting some douchebag with a thumb ring try it out. Didn't see the ring till it was too late( Bah!!) The body has some nicks and dings, but then again I don't treat her near as good as she deserves. The finish is strange, somewhere between a laquer and oil finish, so it's softer than I thought it would be, so taking it off and dropping it on stage a'la Rock Star was not as good an idea as I thought it was( more on that in a minute) All in all, it's still holding up better than my MIM Jazz or my Spector NS-2005 after the same amount of time.

Construction- The only problems I've had out of it I caused myself. Too heavy handed with the jack( easy fix and a lesson learned) and some damage to the Selecto pots after the Rock Star incident( another easy fix thanks to Esh-usa's help department and a more valuable lesson learned). Other than that, it's the same bass I pulled out of the box 6 months ago. Neck's still straight, tuners and bridge and all electronics still doing their thing perfectly.

Sound- At first the sound took some getting used to. I thought there was something missing from the low B, and I was right! It's not boomy like most 5'ers, but articulate and even. I never knew a Bstring COULD sound like that, much less SHOULD sound like that, so I was a little suprised by it. I think most of that comes from the pickup placement in conjunction with the piezo. It has great presence inside the Bands mix without cutting through too much. After I got this bass, people came up to me saying, "Man, that bass line is Killer! I never knew that's what you played..." I think that about says it all...

I thought you guys might like to know more about the Esh line, feel free to ask any questions.
    I'll try to get some pic's up tomorrow. All I can say is I bought mine without having even seen one in real life, and I'm MORE than pleased. Hell, I sold my other basses to get the Dough up for a second one :)

P.S. I talked to Eric at www.esh-usa.com today about ordering a second one, and he told me he has 4 or 5 different basses with different pickup configurations that he needs to move. He made me promise not to quote prices( personally I think hes gone mad, as cheep as the prices he quoted were). If you are in the market for a great high end bass at a steal, give him a ring. Nice guy, great basses.

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Congrats man. Glad you're stoked about your bass. I'm gonna go check out the site right now. Oh yeah, and ya definitely need to get us some pics:)

Alex

3. Here's a picture of the whole thing

4. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Wow. That looks bad ass. I like that headstock a lot.

Alex

5. Here's the body...

6. Yeah, when I first saw one in last years Bass Player " Bass Gear" issue, I instantly fell in love. To my eye, it's the best lookin bass on the market. Like I said, I bought it without ever having laid hands on one, and I guess this time I lucked out. :) Can't wait for the next one, goin for the burled top in trans Blue... talk about GAS!!!!

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

ESH basses are excellent instruments, especially for the price we europeans can get them.
    An ESH V costs us the same price as a standard Fender.

8. Lucky Bastards!!! ;) LOL!!!!

9. Jazz Ad

Actually, we're not lucky. It's just Fender basses being humongously expensive in Europe.

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i like it, i couldnt deal with the headstock tho, looks as if it protudes to a "breakable" extent...

still awesome bass tho man.

:D

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Congrats!

FYI, Christof Kost, who used to design and build the Esh basses in the beginning now has his own company.

Check him out, great basses:

www.christof-kost.de

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    interesting pickup layout. congrats on a nice new bass :)

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Cool beans! The Sujet body shape is very appealing! They sound nice too.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Not too long ago I played a used Esh (different pup config) at a local store. I was *very* impressed. The bass had tons of presence and growl. It was also one of the lightest basses I've ever played! The color was dark olive, not my favorite, but I loved the satin finish, and I also loved the way it sunk into the grain... this was obviously deliberate. The grain was very pretty (definitely ash) and deserved to be highlighted.

The negative was that 2 or 3 of the controls were damaged. Seeing as yours became damaged too, I question the durability of the parts. But, those parts are easily repaired/replaced, so that issue alone would not prevent me from getting an Esh was I so inclined.

15. Jazz Ad

The ESH Gothic is soo a metal bass.

[​IMG]

16. Thanks guys, I really can't say enough about these basses.

Punkfunkfreak: Yeah, I was a little curious about that too, but then it got here and the headstock is like 2 inches thick( I may be exagerating, but it is INSANELY thick) and believe me, the body of this thing is built like a Tank. Back in my "guitar player wannabe" days I used to own a Jackson V-wing, talk about breakable protusions!!! I swear they should sell those things with Sharpie Pens for touch up work on the points!!! :D

Fuzzbass: I think it may be more of my fault about the pots. I was a little abusive to her, just glad it was ONLY the pots( coulda been the pre-board!)

If anybody has any experience with any of the other Esh models, feel free to let me know, I'm kinda curious as to how they play/feel/stand up.

Thanks Guys!!!! :)
    George