Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review of my new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, Jan 25, 2005.

1. A few weeks ago I posted that I had won a brand-new bass, a Traben limited edition Tribal Sun model. The limited edition differs from the normal Tribal Sun model in having a maple fretboard with "solar flare" inlays and a string-through-the-body bridge. It has a curly maple top finished in burnt orange, a basswood body, five-piece maple/walnut neck, 35-inch scale, active electronics, J-style neck pup and MM-style bridge pup, brass nut and a huge, sun-shaped brass bridge. It came with a complimentary Traben gigbag and sported a set of medium-light GHS strings. The top is nicely figured, and the hardware is of good quality. Inlays are well done. The neck is extremely straight and is quite narrow near the nut with a pronounced vee profile, which gradually changes to a wider, flatter profile near the neck/body joint. Unplugged, it sounds bright, clangy, very piano-like, with excellent intonation.

After I admit that I had ZERO experience with active electronics and pointy basses before I received the Traben, I must then admit that the first band practice with the Traben convinced me that the tone would fit nicely in our band mix. Our drummer made numerous comments about how nice it sounded, and ended up saying he actually preferred it to my Precision! The other guys gave me glowing compliments as well, which gave me plenty of food for thought as to how I would integrate this new bass into its first gig.

Since I prepare the setlists for all our gigs, I arranged the songs so that I could use the Traben on the first fifteen or so songs before switching back to my Precision. I soundchecked with the Traben but was not happy with my stage sound. I ended up only using it on the first two songs before going back to my old reliable bass for the rest of the night. It was our first night at this particular club, and with brick walls and hardwood floors I didn't want to monkey around with an unfamiliar instrument. Even though I didn't use it much, I got several compliments from bar customers who were impressed by its looks. I decided that investing more time into finding the right amp-and-instrument settings was worthwhile.

We played the same room again last weekend, and I used the Traben on fully half of our tunes. I am also pleased to say that the Traben sounded great in every respect. The lows are tight and authoritative, the mids are smooth and the highs are trebly and biting. In fact, a couple of people told me that it "fit" our style of music even better than my P. I'm still not sure how to take that, because my Precision will go to my grave with me. The optimist in me says its great to have the option of leaving my number one at home and having a giggable axe that was free of charge!!

Anyway, I'm not completely convinced that the Traben will become my only gigging bass, but it certainly is a worthy instrument in every respect. I like the tone more every time I play it out, the fast neck is becoming more playable to me, and the tonal versatility is wonderful, even if I haven't explored its full potential. And the looks are simply stunning, which doesn't hurt when you're up on a stage.

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice informative review on a very interesting bass, thanks!

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Were you the one that won this in a contest? I know someone did, but I couldnt remember who hehe :)

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Sounds great, Hope you enjoy it for awhile.