Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review of Peavey Cirrus 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tapp, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Hey y'all,

I was visiting a friend this past weekend on vacation and visited a few music stores. I was able to sit down for awhile with 2 Cirrus 5-stringers. One was a walnut body and the other was bubinga.

Now, I have an opinion of Peavey basses from my ownership of a TL-5 that has been with me for over 10yrs now. I always thought my TL-5 played great but the electronics were so sterile and bad I've never been 100% happy with the TL series.

My feelings have changed after playing the Cirrus. Folks this is a WONDERFUL playing and sounding bass. The bubinga was beautiful and had the punchiest tone; you could get Jaco-type throaty mids to full round sound with the turn of the active pre EQ knobs. No hissy/sizzly treble like the TL series and very warm pickups. The walnut was not as punchy to my ears as the bubinga but was setup and played better to my tastes. Caveat: I'm used to a 70's Fender Jazz with round neck. The Cirrus has a flat profile and the action can get really low (without buzzes) so it will take getting used to if you're a trad Fender player.

BTW, I played it through one of the newer Ampeg combos (ie nothing too fancy) and it sounded great. Now I need to figure out how to get one or see if Peavey would install the Cirrus pickups/preamp in my TL-5

Tapp

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The TL is a -very- good bass. You may want to consider other non-Peavey upgrades. Perhaps someone else's electronics? Maybe some Bartolinis? It may take a professional routing job but considering the otherwise top notch craftsmanship it would probably be worth it. Purely wood-wise I believe that the TLs are easily as good as the Cirrus basses.

3. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Good suggestion Philbiker. In fact I have a Bartolini 3 band preamp waiting to be installed whenever I get a moment.

I'm so impressed though with the Cirrus electronics that I may see if Peavey can help me convert the TL-5 to Cirrus electronics? I live about 1.5 hrs from the factory in Meridian and they were very accomodating in the past with other gear I've had.

If there are Peavey reps on the board feel free to e-mail me if there's a chance of converting.

Tapp

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm also in the process of upgrading my TL-Five's electronics. The shop where the upgrade's being done recommended a Bartolini, but they only have EMGs in stock, so I'm going around researching other possibilities. I think the TL's electronics are its only weak point, as construction is otherwise flawless.