1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review of Shredneck Z-series travel bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baileyboy1, Jul 6, 2016.

1. baileyboy1

baileyboy1 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    i have not seen a lot of reviews for this travel bass, so I thought I'd share my experience with it so far.

I was shopping for a travel bass but did not want to spend a lot of money...really looking for something to just play its intended role at a decent price. Determined to stay south of $200, I quickly landed on either this Shredneck bass (28" scale; $160) or the Hofner Shorty (30" scale; $200). I decided I'd take a shot with the Shredneck first and return it if it was not working out.

Upon receipt of the bass, I took some time to get it in good shape:
    * Took off pickguard to inspect the body cavity (not shielded, but actually quite tidy except for a spring missing from one pickup height screw, which I added).
    * Added carbon fiber adhesive cover onto the pickguard (solely for the look of it...had this lying around)
    * adjusted string height, pickup height, and neck relief to Fender bass specs (except for slightly lower action).
    * set intonation on a strobe tuner
    * I have short scale LaBella flats for it, but have kept the stock round wounds on for now.

Once I put the work in above, I found this bass to sound nice and play really well. Despite the 28" scale, string tension on the stock strings is nice (not floppy). The neck is quite comfortable. No sharp fret ends. No dead spots on the neck. The nut width is 42mm. Total width from 4th to 1st string at the bridge is about 60mm. Accounting for string diameters, this probably works out to about a 19mm string spacing. Tuners work fine, turn smoothly, and the bass itself maintains tuning well. Bridge is fine - see no need to swap it out. The stock controls are one volume and one tone, so both pickups are always on at equal balance throughout the volume knob range. You could replace the volume with a push-pull pot or stacked pot if you wanted to be able to separate the two pickups, but I doubt that I'll ever get around to doing that...really just need it to serve its purpose as a practice tool. As it stands, the blended pickup sound is punchy and present. The tone knob has a nice range to either brighten (but never too bright IMO) or darken the tone. I find rolling off both the tone and volume to about 75% is a real sweet spot for me on this bass. No significant noise.

The size really is nice for travel: length is right at 36", and maximum body width is about 10." Gig bag is decent and functional. I added some foam to surround the bass in the bag for added protection.

There is considerable neck dive, but I'll figure out how to counterbalance the neck weight for better balance.

Given the small body, you have to adjust your right hand playing style accordingly.

All in all, I'm pleased with the bass. Great price point and, after a bit of setup work, plays well and sounds good. It's a keeper for me.

Attached Files:

Ellery and axesword like this.
  2. baileyboy1

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    Amazon. Chose standard shipping a received it within a few days. It needs some work out of the box, but is great once you've got it set up.

axesword likes this.
  3. That's pretty cool! I was aware of Shredneck's practice necks, but I didn't know they made an actual travel bass.

4. baileyboy1

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    I came across them when doing a Google search for the Hofner Shorty, another nice travel bass. The P/J configuration (and price) drew me to this one.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. axesword

axesword

Feb 14, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The Shorty travels a few inches longer I read.

6. baileyboy1

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    I think that's right. The Shredneck may be slightly more portable.

I like the sound of the stock round wounds, but might go ahead and install the LaBella flats this evening. I'll report back on the results if I do.

Have some vacation time coming up. Looking forward to seeing how it actually travels in airplane overhead bins.

7. axesword

axesword

Feb 14, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I had some La Bella Beatle Bass nylon flats on the Hofner. I liked them, but it was hard to get the intonation right. I bought some D'Addario XL black nylon flats for my Epi EB-0 that sounds really nice. If I get a Shredneck, probably go that route as well.

baileyboy1 likes this.
  8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I just picked up one of these babies for $149 and it plays and sounds great.

Attached Files:

9. baileyboy1

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    Very nice! Is it a U-bass? Have never seen one go for a price that low.

10. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I believe it is a Hadean bass uke from Hondo.

I kinda want one. Just because.

11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

It's Rondo Hadean bass ukes, 21" scale, and I've bought five of them to mod into different famous styles. The gold AudioVox style is 24" scale. The last one is not from Rondo, I got it direct from China, but I'm sure from the same factory.

Rondo bass mods.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  12. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    You need one more, a baby T'Bird.

bholder and Danhedonia like this.
  13. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I thought about that, but I'm not real fond of that style, and for me the Jaguar satisfies that oblong look. Besides, I only have room for 10 basses on my wall rack (I also have 5 non-Rondo mini basses).

RedVee likes this.
  14. baileyboy1

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    Just spent the day traveling. No problems getting the Shredneck through airport security or onto the plane. Attached a photo of it in the overhead compartment between luggage and the overhead bin door.

Attached Files:

axesword and RedVee like this.
  15. axesword

axesword

Feb 14, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Sold my Hofner Ig Club, so GAS buildup is about to get released...

I've followed quite a few threads for the Shredneck and Hofner Shorty. Right now, I like the Shredneck for its smaller length and the Hofner for color and overall appearance. I guess I'll try the Z first for awhile.

16. baileyboy1

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    I have not tried the Shorty, but it looks like a really nice option. The Shredneck is working well for me so far. I like having the P/J configuration and the price was nice. The stock strings actually have a little more tension than I'd like. I've got some flats that I will put on it in the next few weeks.

axesword likes this.
  17. axesword

axesword

Feb 14, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ERIC31, RedVee and bholder like this.
  18. baileyboy1

Apr 4, 2011
    Indiana
    Nice!

19. guitar<bass

guitar<bass

Oct 25, 2005
    Kansas
    So, you're cutting and adding new wings to achieve a new shape? Sorry I know that's harder than it sounds I'm just curious what this actually entails.

Very nice work btw. I want a thumb short so bad... Gaaaaaasssssss hahah

20. guitar<bass

guitar<bass

Oct 25, 2005
    Kansas
    I want to update just because my wife got me a z series for Father's day.

I got on here for advice on modding because my coworker wants the Les Paul guitar now :D

Anyway let me say this.

I've owned Ashbory and I have a Kala UBass SUB with nickel/nylon strings.

For the small amount of extra bulk, I cannot even begin to express how much I love this bass.

Combat the neck dive with a D ring on your belt.
    Perhaps some pickups/pre (not sure yet)

And play the hell out of it. Seriously.