Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review of the New Eden WT-550 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Nov 22, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just received one from Gard at Bass Central a few days ago and gigged with it last night (thanks Gard!). Here's a quick review, keeping in mind that I've been a GK man since the mid '70s and have more recently been using an iAMP 800.

The reason that I bought this amp is that I wanted to have an amp in my arsenal that has a tube preamp; I want that FAT WARM TUBE TONE, and the ability to drive the tube into a very slightly overdriven growl for some of my applications. It's rated at 300 watts @ 8 ohms and 500 watts at 4 ohms, so it has power to spare for your typical bar/club/lounge gig.

The wt-550 has great tone with a formidable punch, beautiful tube warmth, lots of headroom, and all in a compact light weight head. You can dial in thunderous bottom, punchy mids, or sizzling highs, on demand with about 1/8 of a turn of the nobs. Awesome EQ! after having fun fiddling, I basically took the owner's manual suggestion and kept the parametric eq flat, and used the bass, treble, and enhance controls to dial in my tone. That was very easy to do, with no problem. one super minor gripe is that there's no handle on this head; I guess that it's meant to be rack mounted.

I tried driving the preamp stage a bit hotter and got some nice tube style growl. I liked the compressor, but I found that I preferred to have it off for most of the night.

Just curious, do most of you Eden owners use the compressor?

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    How does it compare to the iamp? I am trying to decide between these two.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could've just said it's an Eden. Anyway, I generally don't use the compressor. I don't spank the plank, so transients aren't a problem, and I like having a more open sound. (WT-800)

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    basss,

Spcifically, what areas do you want to compare?

Both are high quality sounding, powerful, and relatively light weight. Sure the iAMP 800 has more power, but it's not a tremendous difference when you consider your typical gigs such as clubs, bars, lounges, and small to medium sized halls. Both can do the job very well.

One thing that I'll point out, echoing other iAMP posts and EA comments, is that the iAMP has a neutral uncolored tone to start with. If you want your bass to just sound like your bass, and only your bass, uncolored by many other brand amp's pre-shaped EQ, get the iAMP (this may be a good thing or bad thing depending on your preferences). Now let's say that you actually want a smiley faced mid-dipped tone, or a fat dub tone with rolled off highs, or a snappy hi fi slap tone... the iAMP will excel in giving you all of these tones. The iAMP can give you a surprising warm tone for a SS head with proper adjustment of the EQ section, but it will definitely not go as far as giving you an SVT tone (Ofcourse, you're thinking, if I want an SVT tone, I wouldn't buy an iAMP). This is true.

Now, if you want a fat warm tube tone, with the ability to push the tube(s) into a mild overdrive growl, get the Eden. Ofcourse, in that instance, there are many other amps to consider as well (SWR, Ampeg, Mesa Walkabout, Fender 1200S & 300T, the new Yorkville, etc.). These have been covered in other threads and a search will provide tons of info.

After reviewing your profile (you play electric & upright, already own an EA cab, and your preferred music style), I suspect that you will happier with the iAMP. I hope this helps a bit.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks that helps a lot! I think I will end up with an Iamp (probably the new Iamp 500 as portability is important to me). I'd like the tubiness of the Eden but I question whether or not it would be the best choice for the upright.
    From all accounts it sounds easy to dial in a warm fat tone from Iamp. I think I could live without the tube crunch of the Eden and the Iamp seems a bit more versitile. Is this your take on these two more or less? And just to clarify, you will still be using the Iamp as your main amp, correct?

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, the iAMP is my main amp for most top 40, R & B, funk gigs. The Eden is for the jazz / blues gigs, and classic rock jam sessions. I'm also anxious to try the wt-550's tube front-end in the studio (small time stuff).

Yes, I think the iAMP would be better for you and your playing situations. it would definitely be great for the upright.