Review of the Warped Tour!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fleabass89, Aug 3, 2001.

1. I came back from the Vans Warped tour last night, and it was the greatest experience of my life! I don't know where to even begin!

Well, when I got there, I was looking around searching for some bands to see, and then, in the distance, i hear "Through our bleeding! We are one!" being chanted by the crowd at the mainstage! I said "THAT'S AFI!", so I ran there and had a great time there, I got some great pics of Davey leaning up against the crowd, and Hunter, the great bass player that he is, going wild all up and down the fretboard.. The crowd and the band was really energetic!

Then right after that, The Vandals came on. They started out with "It's a Fact", and went right into "Flowers are pretty" and "The New You". Alot of energy there too. There was a really funny part, when the singer from the vandals got on top of a huge stack of speakers and gave himself a huge wedgie! It was kind of sick because you could see his whole a$$! Then he sat down, and proceeded to put his right leg behind his head while he was still singing! Got a great shot of that;)

After the Vandals, I kind of just floated around. Well tried to. The place was packed. I mean PACKED. I saw a great new band, Thursday, at one of the smaller stages (Ladies Lounge). I got to meet the guitarists and drummer, and the guitarist (Tom. K) gave me a Sampler CD of the Warped Tour and they all signed it for me (except the lead singer, he was somewhere else..) I suggest you check them out, they were good. I caught another good band there, but I dont remember their name! I do remember that the bassist had a cast on his right hand, and that they had a new CD called "Dependancy" or something.. And the drummer always had an evil look on his face (not uncommon for drummers:D)Well anyway....

I went to the main stage right in time to see a cool rasta reggae band, then right after, came RANCID!!! They crowd started chanting "Rancid! Rancid! Rancid!".... I was really looking forward to seeing them, but I was in the pit, and it was VICIOUS! I mean really aggressive! It was really fun, but I couldn't breathe all that well, and I was getting dehidrated. So I shoved my way out of the pit (not an easy task) and got some water, losing my uncle in the process. Then I went back to the pit and had the time of my life (although I was constantly thinking i was gonna break my neck or sufficate! Oh well...

The rest of the day was a blast also, except too many people there.. My ears are still ringing. I mean, 20 pairs of 8x10 speaker cabs aren't enough, but you need 87 stacks of stage monitors, also!! geez....There was an Ernie Ball booth, where I tried some stingrays and sterlings... Ohhhh.......sweet....sweet.....Stingray.....uhuhhhggh....

The only bad part of the day was near the end, when Sum41 was playing. (they were playing at a small stage to my suprisement). Alot of people were packed into there! Well, during "Fat Lip", my uncle lifted me up and I started crowdsurfing. Besides my pants almost falling all the way down (some girl like ripped them off), I had a great time. But after i was on the ground again, I felt my pockets, and....

I had the greatest pictures!! Arrgh... Oh well! Not a BIG deal... If I had a shxtty time the rest of the day, I would've been upset. But I had a great time. I know someone had to have taken it, because after everyone cleared out, I looked around, and NOTHING. not even broken pieces. o well.. I had a really awesome time! Anyone that likes music, GO! It's mostly punk and hardcore, but you can't beat the energy even if you don't like the music! And the hot girls, too! Most of them were goth, or had mowhawks or something, but they were still hot!

I got an awesome AFI shirt! It's all black with a skull and crossbones, and "AFI" on the front, and it says "The Deathless Ones" on the back.. So, I recommend this concert to anyone! I'm probably boring you all with these details, so later everyone!

...geez i smell like weed!:mad:
  2. Sounds like you had a great time!! I wish i could go but i got my birthday present early. with Les. anyway glad you had a good time
  3. do they like change the lineup every day? i thought rancid would be playing last every day, since they are pretty much the kings of punk.
  4. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    I'm going tomorrow!! Whooooo!
  5. DHC, i guess they change it around, because rancid started at 4:20 (what a coincidence) and everything ended at about 9:30.
  6. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    when voleqec and i went to the warped tour about a week and a half ago, he went crowd surfing. it was an awsome concert and i wish that good charlotte and sum 41 HAD been on smaller stages. THEY SUCKED!!!! live. Rancid had the best energy. The best part was when the lead singer for for pennywise left the stage and the lead singer for afi came on and did a cover of the Ramones "Hey, ho, lets go!!" with the rest of pennywise. it was soooo awesome.
  7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    BTW, the only reason that pennywise got to be there was because Alien ant Farm pulled out. I heard rumors that they broke up while on the road. Any truth to that???
  8. I was at Warped Tour about a month and a half ago at L.A. Colloseum...

Pennywise played good...but Alien Ant Farm got the biggest welcome, cause their from here and all...

Rancid played kick ass but didn't finish their set.
  9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my best guess would be that alien ant farm did not break up, and this is my logic to it. 311 dropped the tour, and there were rumors that they were gonna start their tour, with alien ant farm opening. I'm guessing as soon as 311 dropped so did alien ant farm so they could get ready for the tour. They're commin to indy sometime in november, i'm sooo pumped. This will be the 4th time ive seen them live. Yea the warped tour rocked, it sucks that alot of you guys missed some bands toword the end of the tour. I didn't get to see pennywise though so i'm sad. Glad to hear yo all liked it. I loved it, although i was dissapointed in the rancid perfomance. I'm not a huge rancid fan, but if anything they turned me off from them. I listen to alot, ALOT of punk, but for some reason i can't get into rancid. The "misfits" played awesome, even though only one actual misfit played. Both the nights i went a different band closed. One night it was Sum 41 and the other it was me first and the gimme gimmes.
  10. Funny, all the punkers I know consider Rancid a joke. Isn't there also some new band called The Living End which is basically a Rancid rip-off band?

Personally, I'm waiting for the new Milemarker album next month.
  11. the living end a rancid ripoff? that's utterly ridiculous. are you sure these people you know are punkers and not mental hospital escapees?
  12. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    AFI closed at the tampa show, that was cool, but since it was dark, my pictures didn't come out.

Oh yeah, tip the people 5 bux, that's how I got to be the first one to meet AFI at the 3 pm signing. Got a pic of Hunter and shook his hand, yay :).

Oh yeah, Pennywise was kick ass too, and I think 311 played at 4:20 at the tampa show, lotsa weed when they played.

I do agree Warped is the best concert though, much better than any of those concerts with seats.

PS - don't wear sandals to warped :)
  13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    "the living end a rancid ripoff? that's utterly ridiculous. are you sure these people you know are punkers and not mental hospital escapees?"-dancehallclasher

i'm gonna have to agree with dancehallclasher on this one. RU KIDDING ME, those 2 bands coudn't be farther apart. I mean serioiusly do these guys even listen to punk, r they of this country.

rancid= hard old school mohawk syle punk

Living end=rockabilly fun punk

2 completely different beasts, both great bands, but totally dirrerent.
  14. And you guys were whining about comparing Rancid and Living End?

LoL. Living End is an Australian punk band. Rancid is American.

Rancid is king of punk. Matt is my favorite bassist, he was bassist for Op. Ivy, which even though only was around for 2 years and released ONE album, are still remembered to this day. How can you say someone like that is a joke? I would personally like to teach these "punks" a lesson.

I bet they are the "British" type punks that believe you have to have a British accent to be punk, and you have to copy exactly what every punk band in England did. Rancid owns IMO.
  15. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    well, 311 was still at the warped tour when i went. They probablly didnt but that was just an interesting rumor.
  16. And we all know the us Yankees started punk, did it faster, and harder, and better!

Ian, the line up changes every show, Rancid went on 3rd from last when I went, with 311 and Fenix TX going last (it was a crock, we left when 311 started)
  17. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    While we are involved in another big argument on punk and such, can someone give me the name of a billy idol "punk" song. I have never heard anything by that guy to make me think that he is a punker, or one of the big founders of punk. The sex pistols were the biggest founders of punk in my opion.
  18. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    ARA: He was in a band called Generation X or something which was considered a punk band, Ive never listened to them though.

I too agree that the Sex Pistols were the main "inventers" I think that the nowadays punk bands are more like them than all the other old ones.
  19. IM GOING ON THE 12TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Mudd

Apr 26, 2000
    Portland, OR
    From a bio on Billy Idol:
    <I>While Billy Idol has the dubious honor of having a youth culture named after his former band, Generation X, the British musician's work as a solo artist gave him mass acceptance. His solo New Wave music impacted the charts, <B>but Generation X's punk music helped shape a genre.</B></i>,4391,1012648_afocus,00.html