Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review of Valenti 003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 1, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Firstly just for a bit of background on this bass. This is one of the first basses Nino made under the name Valenti, he made it as an instock item as opposed to his usual custom work. He later sent it to Smash for a review, which is here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169312

Here is my initial I've had the bass for a day review http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191838

Now I've known Nino for about 4 years now, he's helps me find a few basses that were right for me and given me advice on mods and such. I finally got enough money together to buy one his basses and decided that with out a doubt the Silver Valenti 003 is exactly what I wanted. I'm a huge jazz bass fan, and all of my basses have matching headstocks and I'm really into the vintage looks (Except the Pedulla Rapture I have)

The only thing I may have added if I'd have had this bass built for me would have been blocks and binding but the more I look at it the less I feel that would be an improvement

So I decided to go for it but I added a couple of options to it.

Now the original specs were
    Alder Body
    Vintage Full Sized Jazz Alder Body
    Maple Neck w/Pau Ferro Fretboard
    Inca Silver w/matching headstock
    Satin Finish on Neck
    White/Black/white pickguard
    Nordstrand NJ4 single coil pickups
    Aguilar OBP-1 2 band Preamp
    Hipshot HB-1 Tuning Keys
    Gotoh Quick Release Bridge
    Chrome Hardware
    Contoured heel for easier access to the upper frets

I had added to it a Hipshot Drop D-tuner
    Vintage Tone Control
    Active/Passive Push/Pull Pot
    Series/Parallel Push/Pull Pot

So now the controls are

Volume (Push/Pull Series/Parallel)
    Blend (Wired like the Sadowsky basses are)
    Vintage Tone Control (Push/Pull Active Passive)
    Stacked Bass and treble of the Aguilar OBP-1 Pre Amp

The came in Nino's usual soft/hard case hybrid same as the sadowsky cases come in, I have to say the case is great I'll be using this while touring comes with lots of storage space. Nino included for me some spare sets of strings as the ones on the bass were a little old. He did offer to change them for me but I kinda like strings that are worn in so I said just send me the set you were going put on it (As cheeky as that maybe) and he did. Great guy. The bass was well packed and arived inperfect condition actually it was intune except for the low e which was half a step out, now you have to remember this bass was shipped from New York, USA to Manchester, UK and it was in tune!!!!!!!

The fit and finish is flawless, except as stated the logo you can see the transfer lines around it, but I have been told this has been fixed as this is number 3 and he's now up to number 16 or something.

Here are some pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now lets move on to sound, this is the first time I've heard nords or the aguilar pre amp and I have to say I'm very happy with both, the nords sound fantastic both active or passive and the s/p switch I have is really useful in completely changing the sound while still being usable.

The aguilar is nice but I find I tend to set it and leave it and use the VTC to tweak it more to my liking. I can get nice hi-fi tones if I wish with this bass, I've used it for a little bit off effects based ambience and it worked perfectly for that. I can also get all the great vintage jazz tones I was after, any one who has used nords and aguilar pres knows how godo they sound and Nino's skills just make it even better. A plank of wood with nords in may sound great but it still plays like a plank of wood. This valenti is one of the best basses I have ever played.

Overall it is an excellent combination and I've played this bass the most over the past couple of weeks, I really really love it. Nino has been so helpful as well, as I left the standard knobs on and the stacked one isn't the same, I wasn't sure on the looks when it arrive, I knew I liked it but I just thought its could be a little better, so he offered to send me the matching ones for FREE, but the looks have grown on me and I prefer the standard jazz knobs.

So I hope some people find this reviews useful,

Cheers for reading this massively long post.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Nice review. :)

That fingerboard looks solid! I would love to see pics of the neck profile. I've never seen a Warmoth neck... heard they're on the chunky side.

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I'd like to see the neck profile too...and the contoured heel :D

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    great review... that one of my favorite bridges!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm glad that you like the bass, Steve. :)

6. It certainly looks great! Enjoy that bass!

On a side note, how do you like that pickup cover? I had one on my used Fender Deluxe V when I bought it, but I removed it because one of my favorite places to pluck is right over the neck pickup...

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Right I've used this at a couple of practices and it is just plain fantastic. I'm a heavy effects user and even when I'm in a band that doesn't use effect I like to use eq and compression to fatten my sound up. This was the first time in ages that I went bass - amp. The tone is just stunning, also while I thought this bass was heavy I kept it on for a 4 hour practice and hardly noticed it, it is really well balanced.

So I hope this review helps any one who is concidering a Valenti because they really are top notch.

Cheers

8. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I've already ordered my Valenti, but the reassurance is nice. :D

9. I'm already in talks with Mr. Valenti about a project I'd like to have done for the new year... needless to say, I'm incredibly excited.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Bit more of a review

I took this to the studio just for one of my producers to try out, he normally play's a wal and loves it he's not played another bass for about 20 years. He couldn't put this down, I ended up staying for about 4 hours only dropped in for 20 mins.

Here is an in action shot ignore the sea of girls they follow me everywhere at gigs ;)

[​IMG]

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: don't you hate it when that happens ;)

the bass looks great! I can't wait to try out the 5 string Nino is letting me try and review next month

12. Wow, I knew Valentis were good, but I didn't know they were THAT good!!

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had to ship the girls in a seperate package. :)

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ha! Those girls look real interested. Did anyone notice that not one of them is looking at him? He gets the same reaction to girls than I get, and I'm 20 years older! But hey, it's all good...I'm sure right after that pic got taken they were all over him ;)

On the other hand, at least the girls at his gigs aren't collecting social security.

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Review Update, having used this bass on loads of gigs, it is simply amazing, so amazing that I bought another Valenti (but that's another thread) I have used the switching options I had put in the bass a couple of time's switching between series and parrallel has been great fun for doing a bit of dub or reggae, it sounds massively bassy. Another comment is about the Valenti logo, now it has been brought up that you can see the lines around it, yes on this jazz (number 3) you can see the lines, but on my new blue p bass (Number 5) there are no lines visable so I think it was just the earlier models made where this was the slightest slightest issue.

Other things I've noticed is the finish is really tough I often wear big belt buckles and jump around the stage, my t-shirt generally stops scratches but doesn't stop dents as the bass slams down into my body when I land, I haven't managed to dent this bass (yet :ninja: ) so thats another great point.

I recently compared this bass to an Overwater Jazz and while the Overwater was nice (Great guys BTW) it just didn't have the pure tone of my Valenti. I also prefered the neck profile and general feel of mine.

This is now my number 1 bass I only take it off to play my other Valenti at practices as this one is slightly heavy but generally only affects me after 4 hours + of practice. But if you want a Valenti you can pretty much specify a weight you want it to come under, it's just this is one of the earlier models and was already build when I bought it and really it's not that heavy I'm just a bit weak :D

Oh and the girls now at gig's love this bass, I had one girl grab my leg for a whole song, was like an underage anchor :D

So moral of the story a Valenti Bass won't make you a better technical bassist, but it will make you a better tonal bassist and attractive to the opposite sex, what do you want from a bass? :bassist:

I know this sounds like an advert, but it's not, I'm just standing by the best bass(es) I have ever played, and thought I should share.

Cheers

16. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    (the crowd goes wild!) :D

Congrats on the bass!

I've got an Inca Silver 5-string bass on order from Nino right now. It was largely inspired by the look of your bass,
    along with the 5-string Lake Placid Blue made for AJBrown, and the Geddy Vee PJ.

-----------
    5-string (4+1 tuners)
    Alder J Style Body
    Inca Silver finish
    Maple/Maple neck
    White Block inlays and binding

Nordstrand NP5 neck pickup (18mm spacing)
    Nordstrand Hum Canceling Fat Stack bridge pickup (18 mm spacing)

Aguilar OBP-3 preamp

Chrome Hardware
    White/Black/White pickguard
    No pickup covers

Hipshot B style bridge (18mm), chrome

HipShot Ultra Lite Tuning Keys
    Schaller Straplocks
    -------------

Thanks for posting the great review!

Andy

17. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I'm having one made in a few months with the same body wood and pick-up configuration! Can't wait to see how that sounds and looks! :hyper: