Review on SVT-6 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by specplyrz, Nov 30, 2005.

1. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    Well, got it today. Playing it through a Ampeg 810e bottom. Rolling thunder is all I can say...cause my wine glass rolled right off the edge of my desk, and onto the beige was a Merlot..... :bag: she's gonna kill me when she gets home.

The amp. is outrageous!! It has Groove tubes, telsa and sovtek. Two of each. I have pics of the interior. Will post shortly. Massive transformer.

The 10!!! yup ten MOSFET's are bolted to a "tunnel" with twin fans at one end blowing out the rear. It sucks air from the front as well as from the sides. As the pics will show when I get them up, the tubes are inline with the air flow as well. Clever layout.

Now for the sound....LOUD and POWERFULL!!! Nuff said!! I have it eq'ed with bass on 8, parametric bass eq at +4 at 40 hz, all other controls set midway, (flat). No boost or cut. Ultra low and ultra high engaged. Treble control at 7.

Tube voltage control at 300 volts. Compression at 0.

Gain at 10 o'clock and master at 12 high. This gain setting flickers about 30%...good setting for me.

The sound is power loss, no delay in attack...NO DISTORTION..and it's fun to watch the lights in my office dim when I hit certain low notes!! :D

Ampeg hit this one out of the park!!! Very, VERY happy....finally!!! :eek:

I also notice that the fans run at varatible speeds and are always on...the top of the amp, over the mosfets is quite warm at idle/mute. This leads me to belive a high bias is being applied to the output devices.
  2. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    glad your happy!!
    I was considering the SVT6, but not sure of the sound. What type of mmusic you play? Do you tried with your band?

3. Tube voltage control?

anyways, cant wait to see pics of the innards :)
  4. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    Pics should be up voltage control...from 100 volts to 300 ....for the driver tubes!!! It is very cool....higher the voltage, the cleaner the tone
  5. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I got mine 2 weeks ago. Nice little amp! :D
  6. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Well give it a few days, I'm sure you will find something wrong with it :smug:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :D :D :D :eek:
  7. congrats Jim - enjoy!
  8. Sounds nice. I'm very anxious to hear reviews of someone who's using it for overdriven sounds...
  9. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005

You lil stinker 8mm!!! :eek: ;) :p
  10. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005

Can you belive the size of the transformer. This amp measures 17 across x 18 deep!! Check out the size of the traces on the power supply side of the board!!
  11. Can I hear an I told you so? I hvae been loving this for a few months now.
  12. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    AMEN BROTHER!! :hyper: Loud n proud!! :D
  13. godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    Damn, looks like you got your 'lovin' all over the circutry! or is that silicone caulk?
  14. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Can you tell me the exactly spec on the 6 tubes please..
    So I don't have to open up mine :p
  15. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    The two clossest to the front(one has red writing on it are Grove tubes. The one on the far left and far right are the Teslas...then the two in the middle are the Sovteks.