1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review:Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McHaven, Mar 4, 2008.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I figure it's time to contribute something of value to this forum, so I thought I'd start reviewing each of pedals. You can expect in-depth reviews similar to Boo's, with some decent sound clips as well.

Tonight we have:
    RocktronDeepBlue.

The Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus pedal.

I'm going to be basically stealing the format of Boo's reviews for mine as well, to make sure I don't miss anything. Hopefully that's ok with him, otherwise I'll stop.

Size: Approx 5.25"x5". It is a rather large pedal, but since I have a PT-Pro, it isn't a big deal for me.

Power: Standard Boss-style plug on the input side, above the jack. I use it with a OneSpot. It also has a battery compartment on the backside with a study plastic latch.

Bypass: It is not true bypass. I believe it is buffered bypass, but I am not 100%. I don't notice any tone suck when I engage the pedal. There is a noticeable noise once the pedal is engaged and the controls are cranked. At normal settings, the noise is minimal.

LED: Super bright Blue LED. So you know it sounds good. Honestly, the LED will blind you if you're playing in the dark. I can almost read by it.

Controls: The Deep Blue has 3 knobs including Rate, Depth and Intensity.
    Rate: The rate knob adjusts the speed of the modulation.
    Depth: The depth controls the amount of modulation
    Intensity: The intensity adds more effect to the signal.

Sound: I've recorded 3 clips to my Soundclick page which you can find here
    The clip "Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus" is with all controls set to the maximum.

The clip "Rocktron Deep Blue 2" is all controls at 12:00

The clip "Rocktron Deep Blue 3" is the rate at 1:00, the Depth at 12:00 and the Intensity at maximum.

In all 3 clips, the bass is a Fender Jazz. The clips are recorded straight to my soundcard with no EQ, or anything else.

My Opinion: It's a great chorus and has performed as I expected.I bought the pedal sight unseen without ever really trying out any other chorus pedals. In fact, I still haven't tried that many other chorus pedals, so my opinion may be skewed. My only problem with the pedal is that is not apparent until the intensity is around 3:00. I do like the stereo outputs on the pedal even though I have no use for them at the moment.

In the future I hope to be able to compare this to some other chorus pedals, but you'll just have to take this as it is.

Hope this was helpful to you all. Feel free to post with any questions, or criticism.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Nice review. IMO, Rocktron puts out some of the best production effects, and they're affordably priced. Those clips sound great, too. Thank you.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I listened to your clips in reverse order (3 then 2 then 1) and I really didn't like the sound of the pedal at all based on those ones (too warbly and too subtle respectively) but the first clip really changed my mind because it sounded really good.

I'm not the biggest chorus fan in the world, but it will be on my short list if I decide to move off of my George Dennis.