Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review: Sadowsky V4 p/j

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusty, Aug 8, 2004.

1. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've had this bass for just over a week now, but I've only been able to listen to it through my little Peavey basic 112 and Cafe Walter HA-1. I had no doubt that it was a really good bass, but I had no idea how it'd sound live.

Well, I played my new V4 p/j for worship today and I was totally bowled over by the tone I managed to get out of this bass through the mains. I blended it at about 30%p and 70%j, boosted the bass by 30% and rolled the treble off by a bit... the result was a huge warm and round tone with a lovely little growl in it. I was absolutely amazed - and so were the other bassists in the congregation :D Everyone else just thought it sounded "nicer than usual" :D

About playability... I've been playing a 33.5", 24 fret exclusively for the past 8 years before this, but it took me only 5 minutes to find get so comfortable with it, it seemed as though I've been playing on it for years!
    The action's as low as low can get and the neck feels just right for me - I love it!! In fact, I'm absolutely certain I felt a little of that Sadowsky "magic" which so many have fallen for already :D

I am totally convinced that Roger and his team deserve all the kudos they've been getting for their basses. Many, many thanks to you guys down there. My utmost gratitude to J.S.Basuki for hooking me up with this dream bass at a dream price and even hand carrying it down to me all the way from Jakarta!!

This baby ain't going anywhere ;)

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    And incase you forgot what it looked like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;)

3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Hi,

I am glad you like her :) but I am :crying:

4. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    No worries my friend - I give you full visiting rights to her ;) If you're in town, give me a shout and I'll bring her along for coffee :D

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    add one to the legions of Sadowsky fans.... congrats again, Rusty !

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I've never been too thrilled about the tone of my V4p/j alone, especially through headphones. But put that sucker in the mix, and there's nary a bass that can touch it for warmth, presence, and growl. Amazing isn't it! These Sadowskys were obviously meant to be used as a tool, supporting and lifting the band - not just in somebody's living room! (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Congrats on the bass! Trust me, the more you play it, the more you'll love it.

7. I used my Vintage 4 PJ for the first time in worship today too! I really dug it...it's kinda hard to describe what makes it THAT much better (and more expensive), but the proof is in the pudding, and this bass rocked. The neck plays fast and it sounds great.
    Here's mine. I bought it from Bassgear - I think the seller is a TBer too (theaterbass?):
    [​IMG]

8. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    my favorite color combo for a Fender style bass. im jealous!

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You're such a copycat, FC! This one is mine.

[​IMG]

10. Agree!
    My Sadowsky PJ4 is mucho fun to play. I often leave the pickup blend knob right in the middle for a great slap sound; solo the P pickup and roll in the passive tone for killer old skool.

11. man!!! You got my dream bass right there!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

12. Rusty, we got ours about the same time. I've had mine for going on two weeks and played it on an outside gig last Sunday Aug.1 and it sounded very very good. Everyone who usually comes to see the band noticed it right away which suprised me. Must have been my Wife talking it up. It's a beautiful Inca Silver with the reddish Morado. I didn't really use it in passive but pretty much kept it in the notch for a real good mixed sound of P and J. For a couple Duck Dunn tunes I flipped it over to total P power and it really gave it the righteous vibe. Cutting back on the vintage tone control some gave me an almost flatwound sound too. It was very light and well balanced also. I had just put a set of TI Powerbass which is THEE string for my Lakland Jo Osborne Passive but I'm wondering if the new TI Super Alloys wouldn't even be better since the PJ4 has such a hot active system and is a very bright instrument naturally. Anyway it's going to the gig this weekend and for quite a few more to really get the feel. Now I'm really messed up because I love all three of my Axes, the Lakland Jo, Lakland 4-94 Deluxe and the new PJ-kid on the Block. Man I'm blessed with such fine equipment!!! but the decisions.... :D

Opinion: Does anyone find it sort of backwards that to select the P pickup you roll the knob back? Forward for the Jazz being in the rear/bridge position. ?? not hard to remember but somewhat reversed in my mind...

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

"It delivers every time, Thats the Beauty of Sadowsky" - Major Metal

14. I'm bumpin' this thread hoping to get a response to a couple of my questions above, TI strings ??? and Panning knob rotation ??

Messed around with my new Sad last night in head phones and near field Mons and Vanselus is right about how wonderful it sounds.

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    That bass is downright outrageous Funky! One of my favorite vintage color combo's with the Tort Pickguard. Schweet! That is a tort guard isn't it? If not, your bass is still Schweet! :meh:

16. Yup, tort guard. But I have to confess that I stole the idea from vanselus, who kept convincing me that it was a bass I would dig until I finally broke down and got one. Now we have the same bass.

"I learned it by watching Todd." - funkycarnivore

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    :D

What I meant was that you would love the TONE.

"You didn't have to go and buy the same color" - Vanselus

18. Oh, right. Ebony-topped Nordstrand SC5s are much more original.

"When are you gonna pay me for that thing anyway?" - f. carnivore

19. Are we talking about a Nordie bought through Adrian Garcia? That was mine!