review: tech 21 bass wedge 60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Found on ebay for $239, it's a 1X10 (front ported) in a wedge cabinet with a 60 watt power amp built in. I plan to use it as a stage monitor.

some specs:
    weight 35lbs
    approx 18"X17"X15
    10" rated to handle 100w at 8 ohms
    covered in black carpet
    controls: master level; 3 band eq (+/- 12dBm)
    inputs: 1/4" and xlr
    outputs: unaffected balanced xlr w/ ground lift

First impressions: this is no stack, but should provide enough volume to serve the purpose. We have a nice big sub right next to me on stage but it provides no mids or highs whatsoever, so I can really only hear part of my sound. The wedge should fix that nicely without getting the sound man all ticked off.

With the SansAmp BDDI as a pre, the wedge actually doesn't sound half bad. At home, there's no danger of structural damage, but it will rattle the windows!

This is a discontinued item, but a quick e-mail to Lloyd at Tech 21 (a great guy, very helpful) confirmed that they stopped production on the unit due to the cost of building the wedge form factor and the difficulty in getting covers made for them. The new unit is a rear ported 1X12 with the same chassis and electronics but in a rectangular cabinet. Lloyd tells me that the new one is rated the same in terms of frequency response but seems a bit punchier.

If you play through a preamp, IMO, Tech 21's Bass Wedge 60 can't be beat as a practice amp and stage monitor.

2. I always wondered why they never put big power sections in those combos. Don't you think if they put 250 watts in the 12 it would sell better, regardless of the overall volume?
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, they have a gap in their line between the 120 W combo and the 300 W head.
  4. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Yeah, one of these at 60w is pretty under powered if used as an amp. You can chain these together if more power is desired but as a stage monitor/practice amp, 60 w is fine.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have the Landmark 60 version, and am quite happy with it for a practice amp.