Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review:"The Low C# Theory"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Garry Goodman, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I received a pre release copy of bassist Jauqo III-X's "Low C# Theory' CD.This is the first time I have heard any recordings of Jauqo.I know his C# string works, but a sub contra bass on an entire CD? You bet!

This Cd is a live,in studio recording of a quartet ,I believe featuring a nine string guitarist, and a 6 string guitarist, Ernie Adams on drums and Jauqo III-X on the SubContra fretless bass.

The album's tracks are totally improvised, and have no titles.The music reminds me of albums like "Spectrum" by Billy Cobham, "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis etc.
    All the musicians really are listening to each other,and create music that sounds rehearsed,or at least discussed ahead of time,but it wasn't! Ernia Adam's (Al Dimeola's drummer) is just blazing away and Jauqo's two guitarists are creating textures that will surprizes you.
    The best part is that Jauqo used his sub contra throughout the Cd. There was not one bass note out of place.His grooves are solid,and drive the whole band.
    The low notes are something you just don't hear on bass parts and vibrate your body. He is a very tasteful and precise player. There are no bass solos, but his subcontra bass playing far below the two intense guitarist is a solo in itself.
    If you enjoy "outside" ,but in the pockect fusionesque guitar oriented music created out of pure musicianship, you'll love this disc.The tunes are all up beat and leave you feeling good. Jauqo lives up to his "groove monster" reputation on this CD. I think he plans to release it in the next few weeks.Here are the titles and personnel: 09:29 2. 04:38 3. 02:48 4. 06:31 5. 03:46 6. 03:21 7. 04:07
    Jauqo III-X - Fretless Subcontra Bass(C# F# B E) Ernie Adams - drums Kudzai Kasambira - Guitar (right speaker) DaLawn Simpson - 9 string Guitar (left speaker)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Eric, you have a PM, ninestring, let it go, let's not degenerate this thread any further.

I personally would be very interested in hearing something off this CD, is there anywhere we can listen to audio clips?

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Eric thanks for the kind words.

And Garry thanks for taking the time to post what I know is your honest opinion.

4. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I am sure there will be some audio available soon. I started this thread because I was pleasantly surprized by the CD. Jauqo's C#00 string is now on two CD's, and has opened a new chapter in the bass guitar story.

5. I would like to hear some tracks too. Im not too sure what the EZ1's post said, but all i know is any bassist that can play 9 strings effectively has my repsect. :bassist:

EDIT: not a NINE string bass. i got confused. a subcontra bass. i have no clue what it is, but it must be good. *goes to google* :help:

EDIT pt. 2: Subcontra bass = awesome.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I too am interested in hearing the Low C# in action. Online samples anywhere JAUQO III-X?

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    For those who may be interested I will very soon have sound bites up.

8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    If I didn't think your Cd was A) historically valuable and B) musically enjoyable, I would'nt have started a thread. Having recently used your C# string on one of the tracks from my new CD, I see the value in sharing info on a new chapter in Bass guitar history. Feeling, as well as hearing your bass tracks on a good pair of monitors is the best way to experience your Adler fretless sub contra bass. There is not another CD like it.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

It's a four string Bass I conceived years ago thats tuned Low C# F# B E.my E string is where the G string is on a standard 4 string Bass.

here's more info if interested

http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_lowc.html

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I think the only thing Jauqo is bad at is being a bad bassist. Jauqo dude, you have great chops and I can't wait to get a copy of your CD. I saw some vids of you playing at Namm on the bene website, and you are a great person to have on these boards.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    J, what happened t Jamal and Calvin ? didn't make the cut ? ??

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    is it free or is there some structure guiding some or part od the compositions ?

14. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Pretty neat idea, do the clubs you play usually have a PA that can do your bass justice? I've played in plenty that would never be able to reproduce it properly.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey Don.the recording with Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Calvin Weston is still going strong it will be released later in 05.this recording is 100% improvised there was no discussing of direction with the Musicians(they had no clue as to what I wanted from them on the day of the recording) only for the Drummer to mantain a tight Pocket.all the Guitar players (they could not hear or see each other)had were my Harmonic guidiance and Ernie's(the Drummer)Grooves.This CD is very Bass Groove heavy.if nothing else I hope the listener finds the CD interesting.and as far as PA systems in clubs go I never ever worry about them because I'm coming strait from my amp in most cases.

16. Interesting reading! Congratulations on realizing your creative vision. What are the string gauges on that bass?

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks Dave,The Gauges are .195 .165 .125 .100

18. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    The more i listen to this Cd,i can hear how effective your subcontra bass is while the two guitarist ares playing as intensly as they are. You are below their range so the tracks never sound cluttered.

19. .195!! :eek:

20. Garry,

This is how I experienced Jauqo's mixes as well. The subcontra bass was definitely in your face (but not floppy as I expected it to be), the guitars were tastefully panned, and Ernie Adams held the ensemble together without any "lag" or performance hesitancy. He's a very tasteful/versatile drummer who served as a great fit for these particular compositions. :)

I'd love to hear some solo bass examples from other players in the space, demonstrating how the subcontra bass can be driven at high speeds...................

Jay
    (Now in Los Angeles!!)