Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Review: Tobias Toby Pro-6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist31588, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Man this is one lovable bass. Played it for the first time for the past 2 hours. Pulled it out of the Fedex box and the transluscent red finish (the last finish they had left at musicyo.com) was really nice, a lot better than I'd have anticipated. It's got character, it's not just "solid red". Looks nicer than my schecter. Out of the box setup wasn't bad, but the high C string buzzed like crazy, tweaked that problem out for good and I put a set of older Daddario 6 string pack I had laying around from when I strung my 5 string tenor. Stock strings weren't bad and were OK. But the Dadarrios made a difference. I don't know what people's gripes are with this bass and it's slapping, but i'll be damned, this thing is wicked comfortable for slap. A LITTLE tight. Low B wasn't as good as my Schecter Stilleto elite but that's a problem with the pickups. It's really comfortable and tight. The pickups aren't bad, but it did have an annoying noise to it. The EMG HZ's on my schecter made this noise, but not as bad. I think it's just something with the room I practice in. I dig this bass because it has minimal fretbuzz. Only fret buzz is in the upper registers and it's barely noticable after my setup, and the action is nice and low. No buzzing at all in the lower register. My Schecter had that problem, but had none in the higher registers, the toby has less buzzing in the upper register and none in the lower if you understand.

Seriously guys, this is a great bass, and seeing that I got it for $429, that's killer. Thumbs up; if you're thinking of buying one, BUY IT. It's worth the $630 they used to sell it for! The body's a tad heavy, but I like heavy basses with a small comfortable body; this bass has that. Neck is great. Peace and happy holidays!

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Toby Pro 4 string, and I agree they are nice basses for the money. The preamp was kind of weak in mine, so I replaced it with a Bartolini, but that is the only complaint I had. I wish I had bought a 5 string or 6 string one instead, though.

3. bump, love this bass

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    How is the string spacing on the 6?
    And any chance you could replace the pickups with EMG's?

5. string spacing is perfectly fine for me, even for fast slap. Others will think it's quite tight, but I've got small hands and I felt right at home with this bass the minute I plugged in and this is my first 6'er. You could probably put EMG's in their, the Tobias pickups are soapbar and those EMG's are designed for basses like these with tighter spacing. I'm quite positive. I was thinking of putting in some EMG-HZ's, just because I have them on my schecter and they do wonders. The playability on this is just fantastic. Especially for the $430 i got mine for.;)