Review: Weeping Demon and Jekyll & Hyde

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jan 17, 2006.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hello everyone!

I finally received my ibanez weeping demon pedal and have been playing it non-stop!!! As promised here are the reviews:) .

Ibanez Weeping Demon:

When I pulled this out of the box, I noticed how nicely it was built. Its got a fairly wide base (I would say itd be very hard to knock this baby over), and is also made of nice solid heavy metal:D (a nice change from those danelectro pedals I have been looking at). Within a minute I was downstairs, bass in hand ready to wail with this thing.

As I turned it on I noticed a slight loss of bass (was still in normal mode) so I cranked up the "low" knob (not max but about one or 2 notches down, or else it gets to boomy when on the bass side of the wah). It was really nice, but then I decided to try to get it a little more funky, so I turned up the Q knob (again 1 or 2 notches down from max). The sound this thing gave was amazing!!! It can get a nice funky muted sound (think of jimi hendrix's Voodoo child), and sounded even better with some overdrive! When I added a nice chunky overdrive before the wah, I was getting some amazing cliff burton-esque sounds!

The only thing that was bugging me was when the pedal was full treble side, it was to harsh, so I just took the "fine tuning knob" and moved it back until the harshness was gone...problem solved (its really that easy!;) ). I then tried this in the "Low" setting (meant for bass) and it was too boomy when full bass side. So I full heartedly suggest this to everyone!

Anyone who is afraid of low end loss does not have to worry, I dont have the low knob maxed out and I am on the "normal" setting and it still doesn't loose any low end. The only complaint I have is that the 2 knobs under the "treadle" are hard to get at, but you really will only need to set them once and forget them anyways.

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde:

As those of you who have read my other posts know, I really love this pedal.It is VERY versatile. This thing can go anywhere from a nice slight clean boost to a buzzsaw "Were the hell is that second lead guitar?" sound.

The Jekyll side of this pedal retains low end AMAZINGLY (especially with the bass boost knob). Even without the bass boost knob it gets a nice sound, and as soon as you flip it on, you get a sweet chunky sound. With full gain on this side it gets pretty dirty (goes from clean boost to nice, fairly high gain, distortion). It doesnt take over your tone, and the tone and bass boost really assure you stay as bassy as needed.

The Hyde side of this pedal is just amazing! It goes from slight overdrive to over the top buzzsaw distortion (as said many times before). This side doesnt retain bass quite aswell as the Jekyll side, but with the "EQ" and "Tone" knobs, you can dial in a great sound with no bass loss. This pedal can get a tiny bit noisy (and I mean very little, nothing like the Boss ODB-3)at extreme settings.

Using both sides at once really generates the best of both worlds. It is basically the Jekyll side muffled a little bit and then "filled in" a little bit. It does get noisy at extreme settings but there isn't really any point to maxing out the gain with both sides, since it doesnt get much (if any) dirtier then maxing out just the Hyde side.

A few people have asked me if it can get the big muff sound. And my answer is not quite, It can get very distorted but can't get that signature sound (since it retains so much clarity even with the gain maxed out).

So there it is! I am EXTREMELY pleased and will hopefully be posting up some clips tonight (if I have time before band practice). One question, can I just attach the sound clips to my post, or should I put them on ?

Any suggestions for types of soundclips? (songs or styles of music?)

Hopefully this has helped!

2. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd love to hear some clips. Could you also post some of your favorite settings? I recently bought this pedal, but I'm not really that crazy about it. Maybe I haven't found the right setting, but I find the jekyll side to be kind of 'thin' even with the bass 'boost' switch on.
  3. glad to hear you're happy with the demon. My J&H should be coming next monday or tuesday :D

To post a clip, make sure its in mp3 format and under 2mb, click the little attatchment thingo in the reply window, browse for your clip and upload... except i could only record about a 10 second clip with goldwave or the file would be too large for my demon clips.

Whats your settings on the wah?
    Im playing with lo, level and q boosted to about 2 o'clock, in normal mode, and fine tuning under the toe at about 9 o'clock.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Just ordered mine last night - looking forward to getting it!
  5. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    I just updated my settings at band practice last night... I have the Q knob maxed out, in normal mode, with lo at about 3 oclock or so, and fine tuning at around 1 oclock, level set to around 11 (i find thats where it is equal to my normal, uneffected signal).
  6. Pardon me for hijacking the thread (continue on after I'm through with my rant, please).

But, what's with these HOKEY names on these effects?

"Weeping Demon"??? and "Jekyll and Hyde"???

Might as well call them things like "Mocha Frappe" and "Banana Smoothie".

Or "Begging Wench" and "Schitzophrenic Insect"...

thanks, you can continue with your thread, now...
  7. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    ummmm okay.....

Jekyll and Hyde would be in reference from tame to wild, im assuming. and Weeping Demon because its a rock oriented wah and guitar players so it makes their guitars "wail"? I dunno just a thought. Either way i dont think the names are silly at all, and just memorable...infact all of my friends (many of them not musicians) remember my weeping demon pedal over my hartke b60 amp or my Traynor TS-50B amp.
  8. Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    moaning whore would be a great name for a wah
  9. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    didn't jacques use that name already for his wah pedal???

screaming geisha....

close enough?

10. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Heu guys!

Good news: My parents are gone on a trip so I am living at my friends house for a week.

Bad News: As a result, I dont have a way to record I should have a clip up on thursday or friday...unless I have time at my house right after my band tommorow.
  11. I think I may actually get a Weeping Demon from all the good reviews people have been giving it (I may have to play it first though). I had no idea the Jekyll Hyde pedal was any good on bass. A guitarist friend of mine has one. And he is amazing with it. I have the urge to go try it out on my bass and see the results for myself.
  12. The older version loses the lows ive heard. But the new version has a bass boost switch on the jekyll side. And the Hyde side handles it well apparently. Mine should hopefully be here in the mail today :D
  13. Mine just arrived :D wooo.

Its pretty sweet. Although, i havent really noticed that much difference between the two sides. I mean you can get the drastically sounding different, but if u crank the knobs theres a fair bit of hiss. The "fat blues" setting on the Hyde side is awsome. Its like a massive, PHat overdriven sound. Only had it for 15 minutes.

what a day, got rid of my EHX octave, got a good condition BF-2, my J&H came, got fired/quit my job, got a new one, hopefully pick up my cab from the shop on my way to the interview.

Blake :bassist:
  14. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey man!

Sorry to hear about the job...although, if you quit then maby it's a good thing?

Anyways, yes they can sound if u set the drive knobs , intentionally trying to get the same sound...but the jekyll can get a smoother less drastic sound the the hyde can. Even if they sounded exactly the same, you could still set them : one as a o.d. or distortion and one as over the top disotrtoin.

15. i actually have them reversed.... my Jekyll side is more of a creamy distortion, and the Hyde is a PHAT overdriven sound
  16. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey chips! I tried that way and I love it!!

Anyways I tried recording some clips and the distortions jsut sound like crap when going straight into my soundcard but the clip of the wah sounds okay. Keep in mind this is very ****ty quality recordiong so the wah does sound better then this...

As I attempted to attach these i realised that talkbass cant attach wma files...:spit: clips tommorow i guess...
  17. You can easily change the format by when saving as, choose save as mpeg
  18. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    I would except I used Cool Edit pro and hit "Save Mixdown as.." and didnt save the session.