1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reviews/opinions: Gallien-Krueger Brat Pack Half-Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldrookie, Aug 16, 2007.

1. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Looking for a better amp (using a Crate practice amp, so pretty much anything is better) and would like to know more about the Brat Pack Half-Stack.

Users with opinions care to enlighten me? GC lists them at $300

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I think the BL250 is the amp that this comes with, and while it'll be a step up from your crate, you'll be wanting to upgrade it in the near future...

You'll be happier getting the Backline 600 for $300 and playing thru whatever crappy cab you can afford or dig up... then save up for a good cab. You should then have a powerful rig that will always be useful-- if you ever "outgrow" it, know that a lot of serious players keep a BL600 as a backup/rehearsal amp.

I just think you'll start to feel the same way about the brat pack stack that you now feel about your crate.

Of course, I'm not answering your question, and telling you to spend more money. Sorry...

3. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Don't apologize, this is exactly the information I needed to make a well reasoned decision.

I knew the Crate was going to be a very short time deal when I bought it. Wanted to make sure I had the passion for playing that I always thought I might without investing a lot. Turns out I do (though the talent quotient appears a bit thin.
    The next amp I buy will need to be servicable for a long time. My oldest is just starting college (next week) and funds are going to be tight. I don't want to buy and then be dissatisfied in a year.

Thanks for the input.

4. if I were you I'd go one step up from the BL600 and get the 400RBII - alot more versitile and professional IMO while still in that same price range. Especially if you go used.

check out avatar or dr.bass cabs - they are quality low-cost cabs

I'm in the same position you are, except I'm the one going to college :D

I'm going the ampeg route I think though, but thats ALOT of saving up to do...

hope this helps,
    Dan

5. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Appreciate the advice. Good luck with your studies this fall.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    fdeck, who's one of the EE types on here, has a very nice write up on the BL600 on his website.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/

I have been consistently knocked out by how good it sounds. I keep plugging into one when I get into the shops.

7. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Occasionally you'll run across used GK 800RB's for around $300-$350. Great sounding amps and damn near bullet proof! They'll crank out a useable 300 watts and run another 100watt extension cab. (wish I would've kept mine) they sound good through almost any quality speaker. I ran a cheap BLX115 (new around $200) for years with one of these amps.