Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Revisited: David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 8, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey ya'll! Since I've been having a longer drive to work than I've had in the past I've been pulling out CD's that I haven't listened to in a while and it's been really fun.

This week I pulled out David Sylvian's Brilliant Trees and I gotta say I don't know why it's been so long since I've listened to this one. It's such a fantastic album and the music ranges from beautiful to stunning.

A lot of people consider Secrets of the Beehive to be Sylvian's best but Brilliant Trees is one of my favorites. The first song, "Pulling Punches" always sounds just a bit cheesy to start off with because it has a "totally 80's" sounding slap bass tone IMO (no offense but it kinda sounds like King's Level 42 stuff). It's still a good song though and they only get way better from there. The second song "The Ink in the Well" has some beautiful upright bass playing from Danny Thompson and it's a great song. The songs just get better and better and one of my favorite trumpeteers and musicians, Jon Hassell, joins Sylvian on three or so songs too. The CD also has Percy Jones on fretless bass. The music is kinda of funky, jazzy pop with a lot of ambient thrown in. If you're a fan of Sylvian or of Jon Hassell then you gotta get this CD. I found several copies in a big 'ole sale bin at a local music store for a buck a piece several years ago and I sold the rest of 'em on Ebay and kept one for myself so you may be able to find it cheap if you're lucky. A little more raw than Damage and maybe a little more esoteric than Secrets of the Beehive, it's definitely worth keeping on the lookout for.

brad cook