1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Revisiting 1976

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eighthnoterock, Feb 11, 2019.

1. In 1976 I traded a Gibson Grabber for an Ibanez Black Eagle. This lead to my love for Jazz style basses.
    Just received one of the reissues from Guitar Center today. Couldn't pass it up for the price.
    20190211_123850.
    Pretty much what I expected fit and finish wise, average. The tone I remember. Very aggressive Jazz tone.
    Very happy I grabbed this. We are going to have lots of fun.

2. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I had one of these quite a few years ago and regret selling it. I bought it for a ridiculously low price (was like $400 I think) when I was living in San Diego. It used to belong to the bassist of Rocket From the Crypt. Awesome instrument!

You cropped out one the best part of the best parts of that bass (next to the Pickguard and horns)...the headstock!

Eighthnoterock likes this.
  3. Sorry about the pic. Wasn't really paying attention. I was dream about the hair I had in 1976...
    Yes, this was one of many basses I regret getting rid of. Much to my wifes dismay I'm making up for it.

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.
  4. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Nice one

How you like that Ashdown Valve Amp? I bought the CTM-300... By gum it's a beauty.

Eighthnoterock likes this.
  5. I love it. I have the CTM 100 as well that I play through a VS 412. Has all the volume I need. Play the 30 through a 1x12 or 2x10. Love the tone regardless of which one or which cabinet. The 30 is great with the VS 412 as well.

foal30 likes this.
  6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    IMG_2533.JPG

This is mine. One thing people forget to mention is how heavy these things are. The bass in that photo weighs 13½ lbs.

I've never seen the recent reissues. I assume they don't have the cutout in the headstock? I also wonder whether the reissues have those elaborate inlays, or if they're just stickers?

mikewalker likes this.
  7. Yes, as heavy as the one I had in 1976. Mahogany body. Yes has the headstock cutout. As far as I know from what I've read, they replicated them as built in the 70's.

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    On a $600 bass!? I'm really surprised to hear that.

9. Can't accurately speak to the fingerboard inlays. When I traded for mine in 76 it was listed at $350.00.

10. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I've got a re-issue and they are very well put together.
    In the early ‘90s Krist Novoselic thrust the Black Eagle Bass into rock-n-roll history during Nirvana's En Utero tour and on numerous supportive videos. First on the scene in 1976, and now reappearing, the legendary Ibanez 2609B still rocks with plenty of rock-n-roll mojo, punch, and low end gunge. The Alnico magnetic Super J pick-ups give this 40th Anniversary Reissue the same bright and seriously aggressive tonal powers of the original. Decked out with a gracefully shaped F-hole headstock, the Burns style curved inward cutaways, the custom banjo influenced design position inlays and the decorative pièce de résistance white-on-black abalone Black Eagle pickguard, this Ibanez Limited Edition represents a definitive retro appeal.

Features:
    • 864mm (34") Scale Length Black Eagle Reissue Electric Bass
    • Mahogany Body with Black Gloss Top
    • Burns-style Sharp Curl Cutaways
    • Black Eagle Abalone Inlay Pickguard
    • 2609B Maple 4 Bolt-on Neck
    • Maple 240mm (9.45") Radius 20 Medium Fret Fingerboard
    • 2609B Custom Banjo Influenced Design Position Inlays
    • 41mm (1.614") Tusq XL Nut
    • F Hole Headstock with Original Ibanez Mother-of-Pearl Logo
    • Ibanez Chrome Open Gear Tuners Tuners
    • Alnico Super J Passive Neck and Bridge Bass Pickups
    • Seperate Volume Controls with Single Tone Control
    • Ibanez Chrome Adjustable Saddle Bridge with .045-.105 Gauge Round Wound Strings
    VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE ON THE HISTORY OF BLACK EAGLE

The Ibanez Black Eagle