Reviving a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chad J Owens, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Chad J Owens

Chad J Owens

Nov 14, 2021
    Hello! this is my first post here :)

So I've been playing quite a while and my son is also now getting into bass and taking lessons. I thought it would be fun to try to revive an old pawn shop buy of this Ibanez SD/Gr that has been collecting dust for years. The idea is to refinish the body and make a natural wood with a natural stain and put updated electronics in it as the current pots are not great and one of the stacked knobs even seems to be super glued so doesn't turn at all. I've never done this so I'm not sure where to start ... especially with buying & replacing the electronics.

Would appreciate any advice!!

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Looks like a good quality bass to start from. If you can solder and follow a circuit diagram, you should be able to handle the wiring, it's mostly not tough unless you want to get fancy with the switching or whatever.

Chad J Owens likes this.
  3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    That thick clear poly is going to be difficult to remove if you want to get down to bare wood.

Beej likes this.
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Just get a heat gun and go slowly, not too bad. The bigger issue is that there is virtually no chance that the wood underneath that finish is going to look good enough for a transparent finish.

MrLenny1 and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Yep, and there's the risk it won't look any good. It might be a number of offcuts used to make the body as it was going to be covered in paint and hidden.

Leave the finish alone, fix the electronics (not difficult), give it a set up and some new strings. Then just play it for the next couple of decades.

Chad J Owens likes this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This was my first thought too, until I looked at the pics closer. The original finish is transparent black and the grain looks nice under there, a good candidate for a natural refin. The poly is a pain to take off. A heat gun helps but IME it still takes a lot of sanding and elbow grease. The up side to this is if there's dark finish stuck in the grain pores it will likely enhance the natural finish making the grain stand out.

As for electronics there are TONS of options, you should start by having some idea of what tone you're shooting for and design pickups and preamp (or no preamp) based on that.

These are usually really comfortable basses to play, seems like a worthy project to me :thumbsup:

Chad J Owens likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022