1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

reviving old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bass., May 29, 2007.

1. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    hello all,

i was recently allowed to take one of my school's basses for the summer. The strings are dead... dead as dead.
    And i don't have 100 bucks for new strings, i was wondering if (like electric strings, forgive my ignorance) one could boil them to bring back some of the life? or clean them or Something?

thanks
    peace

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Personally, I don't believe in that at all. You just have to replace the strings. Check the ads here on TB. Sometimes folks are selling lightly used sets.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I used to boil slab strings, and I boiled some Spiros once just for giggles. They came back to life for a very short time, but it's not worth it IMHO. If you choose to try it, keep the windings on the ends out of the water with clothespins... they'll just disintegrate.

Gut strings, boiled with some carrots and onions, make a lovely soup stock.

Just kidding.

PS... good luck with the loaner bass this summer. My older brother brought his High School bass home when I was a grade school kid. He pretty much ignored it, but I fell in love with it, and now I'm still playing bass for a living, all these years later. Funny how things work out sometimes.

4. I wonder if anyone's tried one of those electrosonic or whatever cleaning gadgets on strings. I wouldn't imagine it would work, but you never know.

5. townbass

townbass

May 30, 2007
    Philadelphia,PA
    I have been using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol on a clean rag for several years with fair success. I de-tension one string at a time and wipe the entire length several(many) times(be carefull to not drip any excess on the finish). This cleans the junk off the string as well as restoring the outer wrap due to the cold contact of the alcohol. I achieve about 80% of the string's brilliance. As the strings get older, I do this more frequently. I use steel strings(jazz) and would be cautious using this on bowing strings so as not to damage the damping. I definetly would NOT USE ON GUT. Works well cleaning the fingerboard also.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021