1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Revolution solo 1 adjustment

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tfernandez, Apr 2, 2013.

1. tfernandez

tfernandez Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    I've been fiddling with my rs pickup for a bit and can't seem to find a decent placement. If I place it on the g side of the bridge, the pickup sounds good, but the g string comes out very clanky and treblie. If I place it on the e string side, the a string sounds clanky and the e becomes very woofy. I bought the pickup used and it was sanded down a lot. I was curious if anyone thinks this might attribute to the clanky sound on specific strings. Also, I am not using the clip that came with it or the felt. Used a velcro mount. No preamp either. I have read through the other threads and tried paper shims and made sure the pickup was snug.

Attached Files:

2. You want to mount it with the RS logo facing up, and a preamp will help. I mount mine on the E side. Twist it bit by bit until you get your sound. Try thin sheets of balsa wood from a craft store for shims.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    A more permanent option is to sand it down just a hair further. Sometimes it's too tight. But to the point where it's falling out is not so great either.

If you do a shim, don't do balsa - it's too soft. You need something hard and dense, like a cherry veneer. I did that and it worked well when I was using the RS.

4. tfernandez

tfernandez Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I scavenged some old threads I hadn't seen before and found someone using cellophane tape to shim. Tried it out and the sound is much better. I was using computer paper to shim before which is thinker than the tape.