Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Revolution SOLO and Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pillen, May 27, 2005.

1. pillen

pillen

May 27, 2005
    I recently ordered the K&K Bass Master Combo Pro and wasn't very happy with the sound I got from that. Since I've been reading such great reviews about the revolution SOLO I thought I'll try that one instead. The problem is also wich preamp I should choose, since I like to have options and have control over my own sound, I think the Fishman Pro-EQ platinum is the one I should pick. It would be great if anyone with experience of these together could give me their opinion and maybe warn me :)

The reason why I wasn't happy with the K&K was the very nasal tone I got in the higher parts of the neck, like the first D on the G string. And when I turn up the volume on the twin it picks up clatter from the fingerboard, scraping and such...
    I'm looking for a more natural sound, still with distinction but without all the fingerboard noise.

If anyone would recomend another combination or a completely different set, please do so!

God bless

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I could never get the four stick-on bridge transducers to sound worth a damn with the BMP, so I cut two of them off and turned the other two into a second Bass Max, which I put in the treble wing. If you want to try this, get some thick two-sided foam tape and stick the two bridge transducers to it with the metal (unpainted) side facing out, then cover with black electric tape and insert in the bridge wing. The trick is to find the foam tape in the right thickness to make the fit snug. You can also of course try this wihout cutting the other two transducers off if you don't want to destroy the pickup....Just my .02c, since IME it's the "Double Big Twin" portion of the pickup which amplifies all of the "Fishmanlike" string noise. You should also try turning the treble and mid pots inside the pre all the way down to see if that helps - When I was using this modified unit, I usually ran it with the treble all the way down and the mids most of the way down. Good luck!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pillen, what are you trying to do with the preamp that you can't do with your current setup? The Rev Solo doesn't need a separate preamp. Your amp should give you all the tone control you need.