1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Revolution Solo Pickup, Sanded to 5mm

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Larry Holloway, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I received my Revolution Solo Pickup a few days ago & spent over an hour making a perfect fit. My bridge is set up for an Underwood. I was very meticulous and sanded it to 5mm using calipers. It comes at 7mm. I bought it from Upton Bass. When I spoke to Eric, he mentioned it was made thick enough to sand down to 'Underwood' thickness. Instructions say not to sand below 4mm. The sound I got was very natural & more centered than a Realist. I also preferred it to my Underwood, but it lacked the volume output for my needs. $35.00 includes shipping (priority, US only). Again: It has been sanded to 5mm. Guaranteed not to be hacked or DOA. I can email some pics. I'm just trying to cut my (GAS) losses. Otherwise, it'll end up in my string drawer.
  2. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Volume eh? but pleased with the sound. That’s an impedance matching problem. A simple pre like the BII should take care of the issue BUT looking at your profile you should have no problem....something is up.

Dont you want to keep the :

3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I'll take it. I have one Rev solo already but I like it so much I think I need two!

I have another bass I'm putting together and this will save me having to take the pu on and off.

4. Nothing "is up". I thinks it's a matter of 'old dog, new tricks'.... me being the old dog. I was used to my original setup. Plus (unfortunately) I play a lot at fairly high volume jobs. Large ensembles & loud drummers. Matched with my AI & speaker combo, the sound was changing too much for my ear. In other words I lost quality the more I turned it up. I don't think it was an impedance problem as much as it was just matching my equipment and ear. At medium and low volumes, I loved it. I just don't want to mess with changing my pickup to match the job. Thanks.
  5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I wonder if it's really appropriate for the maker/marketer of an item to make an interjection when someone is selling a used example of that item in the classifieds here? I say this as someone who uses the Revolution SOLO and finds it to be an excellent pickup, and I respect Gary Upton's suggestion for a possible fix to the problem mentioned by the seller; but every bass, string, pickup, bow, etc. works differently for each particular person and his or her particular needs, and it seems that we TB'ers should be able to liquidate items we don't want without having our reasoning for doing so questioned by someone (especially someone with a vested interest in the reputation of the item for sale). I don't say this to be contentious, but simply because I find the thought of originating dealers weighing in on classified ads (and there are many wonderful dealers and/or makers serving as valuable members of this list, including Gary Upton, Arnold Schnitzer, Nick Lloyd, Bob Gollihur, Mike Pecanic, Ken Smith, Jeff Bollbach) to be a little unnerving. I'm sure we all have unassailable personal reasons for selling the stuff we sell--that's the nature of this kind of board.
  6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Nice thought.
    I'm submitting it to the other mods and Paul on our private board, to get their opinions.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think we're very lucky to have people here who can help us - so every time you sell some piece of musical gear you're almost certainly going to lose money on it - so if somebody can help you with a problem that you may not have known could be easily fixed - then that's saving you money and time/effort in selling and buying something else, getting used to it etc.

I see this as a good thing and a positive aspect of the "community" we have here!! :)
  8. philly

Nov 20, 2004

I think we can judge who's talking by their reputation and past comments. In this case, I can only take Gary's advise as an attempt to be helpful and informative.

9. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Yes, I naturally see the positive side to the situation as well. And, to tell you the truth, if the maker in question hadn't said "Don't you want to keep the 'more centered than a Realist. I also preferred it to my Underwood'?" with the little raised-eyebrow emoticon, it wouldn't have struck me as odd. It does make me a little uncomfortable, however, to think of a maker stepping in to a for-sale post basically to dissuade the seller from selling while defending the product, and that's the distinct impression I got from that part of the exchange. That's a perfect opportunity for one user to contact another privately through a PM or an email; I think it's important on a buying/selling board that members be able to sell or seek items without anyone with a vested interest in the product asking "why?"

I know Gary's intentions were good and he's a good guy (and I love the pickup myself, as I said); I'm really just using this as an example of a broader question.
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm gonna vote "no" on the further restrictions in the classifieds and on commercial users. There are enough. (IMO)

The way I look at it is, (and some of you know this), all the stuff we use is like ice cream. All the flavors are good, but we have our favorites. Sometimes you order a particular flavor and decide it's not for you. Sometimes you have a favorite flavor for years and then it just doesn't do it for you. Heck, sometimes you need the money so you sell your ice cream to someone else. There's no shame in selling an item, but there's no shame in an "ice cream expert or manufacturer" offering some helpful info. Just as long as no one tells you what kind of ice cream to like, or that you're crazy for not liking their brand.
  11. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I agree with that, but with the following remark:
    IMO, the classifieds forum is not the place to discuss such problems or get advices.
    If the seller had chosen to keep the PU and ask for advices on how to improve it or solve a problem, he would have asked in the Amps&Pickups forum.
    Since he posted in the Classifieds, I assume his choice was to sell it.
    I don't think the Classifieds is the place to start arguments about the choice someone has made to sell something.
    At least it can create some discomfort when the maker or vendor comes in and questions the choice of selling the product.
  12. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think this is a reasonable restriction. I'm glad to have the vendors on here to answer questions, provide feedback and read our honest, unfiltered reviews of their products and in theory, make relevant adjustmentsif they see fit. I don't think they should promote their products or discourge people from speaking their minds about them.

What if someone is selling an item for purely financial reasons and would rather not cop to that? I think you should be able to list items for sale without having your judgement questioned outside of maybe PM.

In truth, there is a devout-cultlike following for the Rev Solo and for Obligatos and I know people have bought them based strictly on the praise in this form. I'm equally certain that there is also a percentage of people with each of those products as an example, who have had negative experiences and have held back their comments because the tides the other way are too strong. Someone posted in a different forum this week something like "you're dumb if you don't have a Rev Solo, it's the greatest pickup in the world". I think there is an undercurrent of dissent on that point that we're not hearing simply because it's not worth it. We can deal with our fellow members on that point, I don't think we need to be confronted by the manufacturers on it too.

As someone who browses this forum to make future purchase decisions, I want to read the unfiltered version of what people think about products without influence. Their decision to buy and sell is relevant to me. This post felt like defence and pursuasion to me. Sorry Mr. Upton.