1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RevSound RS210: where did my mids go?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kenan, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    I was lucky enough to find a like new RevSound 2x10 cab (no tweeter) on my local Craigslist at a great price. Although it's a very impressive, high quality piece of gear, I've been having trouble dialing in a sound that works for me and I was hoping to gain some insight.

The cab is an upgrade for me from a Markbass NY121 (1x12 cab). It's immediately apparent that the RevSound is capable of a much greater, wall shaking low end that the Markbass doesn't possess, as well as more volume overall. It's really nice to be able to move more air and really feel the bass with the Rev. The Rev truly sounds great on its own.

However, after gigging the Rev a few times, I can't get it to cut through the mix, despite having more than enough volume on tap. It feels like my all my mids have been cut! Do others consider this to be a mid scooped cabinet? Or is that the nature of 2x10's generally?

The first couple of gigs I used a Shaw Tube Injection pre with a power amp, which has been my go-to. The Shaw doesn't have a mids control, so that was a problem. With other cabs, I'm satisfied with just a little bass boost, a little treble cut, and mids sound great on the Shaw.

Last night I tried it with an Ampeg PF-50t. I had the mids dimed, treble and bass both slightly cut, in order to dial in enough mids. I still never quite got a sound that could sit well.

Basses are mostly Fender style with Flatwounds. Last night I started with a P, then switched to a J, which cut through better. I go for an old school thumpy, woody tone. Music is usually blues, R&B, jazz, etc.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SwitchGear likes this.
  2. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    One more thought: I wonder if porting makes a difference. I play pretty small gigs where my cab is inevitably wedged between a wall and my legs. The Markbass is rear ported and I wonder if I hear a lot of slap back from the wall behind me. The Rev is front ported. Perhaps I'm just not hearing it enough being so close. Just a theory. I need someone to sit in next time.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Try PMing @dawind99 - he built your cab. He can tell you more than we can.

4. it could well be that the lamp protecting the high range drivers has failed and needs to be replaced.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    And try tilting the cab so it points at your ears.
    It may be a perfectly fine cabinet but the mids may beam more than your other cabs.
    If the cones point at your ears, you'll hear what comes out the cones more accurately.

LBS-bass likes this.
  6. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound
    There is no lamp and the OP's cab does not have a tweeter. The RS210 was designed to be reproduce what you put in. I do not/will not build a mid forward cabinet. Although it gives perception of more presence in my experience you are in guitar player real estate with accentuated mids and the stage mix becomes an uphill volume battle. And, I won't even get started on heavy left hand keyboard players:) I've found you can always eq in mids easily but removing them is more challenging. The RS210 is vertically aligned and has very good off axis response but if you are on a shallow stage you might want to get it off the ground. Experiment with a different amp. As frequency goes up it becomes more directional and what you want to hear may be blowing by your legs. The cabinet in my humble opinion is the most important part of your signal chain beginning with your instrument. It doesn't matter how expensive your amp or instrument is or how many pedals you have on the floor if your voice is not translated properly by the cabinet. It is in effect the portal for your voice, your mouth. Other factors that come to mind would be your flat wounds which are not as bright as rounds due to the degree of upper order harmonics. Perhaps a different brand of flat wounds would be worth trying. I love the sound of flats for many styles. The Ernie rounds are somewhere in the middle I've found but not sure of their longevity. Others could weigh in on that. Hope this helps a bit. And now I drift off topic a bit going "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" regarding translating your voice. When I was 14 I frequented a high end audio store on Beacon St in Boston. One of the salesmen let me hang out in the listening room enjoying the incredible sound and listen to his interactions with customers. I was polite and had a lot of questions for him which he was always kind and patient enough to answer. To this day I want a pair of Klipschorns because of him. I remember one night asking him after a customer left what the purpose was of a power amplifier touting 20-20kHz response when the best speakers on the floor could only reproduce 32-18kHz and most 60-16Khz. His reply was that the customer wants to feel like they are getting the best and bigger numbers meant something tangible to them even though it was not going to get translated.

sears, ezstep, SwitchGear and 5 others like this.
  7. My friend, in no way was what I posted a critic of one of your products that I’m sure are great. It was merely a possible cause that would cause symptoms as described. :)

Edit: BTW I love Boston, the band too!. I visited many times in my Calma/HP Apollo days now sadly long gone.

dawind99 likes this.
  8. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Thanks in particular to David to take the time to comment. It's an honor to hear directly from the builder. I know this is a great cab and I intend to put some more time into figuring out how to make it work for me. I'll experiment with tilting and/or raising it off the ground.

I believe David when he says that the cab is neutral. I wonder if I'm used to the more mid forward cabs that he does not/will not build. Other cabs I own are Markbass NY 1x12 and Barefaced 1x10. For those who have experience with them, let me know if you would consider those mid forward. Alternatively, there must be a difference in how the sound is reaching my ears on stage, in comparison to my other cabs. I still wonder if that could be related to port location.

Thanks again to this always helpful community.

9. I had a pair of K-Horns. They are glorious- IF - you have a big enough room ( wide enough front wall) to make their 45 deg face your listening area. I made some of what is known as "false corners", but they did not translate the necessary reflective surface. I ended up with the RF7, RC7 combo.

BasturdBlaster and dawind99 like this.
  10. Kenan, you could add a Klipsch center channel speaker. KlipschSC1.jpg

11. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    Is that something from a home audio system? Are you being serious or pulling my leg?

12. Au contraire. Guitar players start volume wars by boosting their bass which is the bass guitar's tonal territory. If we give over our mids to guitar and lows to bass drum we are voiceless drones that may as well mine.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  13. Check out my "leg" GKrig.jpg

extreme likes this.
  14. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    If you play in a heavy band of any sort, this is the case. I'm not sure anyone needs a cab that is tuned to be specifically midcentric and obviously bass still needs low end to provide a foundation, but scooped does not work with anything from the hard rock, punk, and metal genres, despite what Korn all wanted us to believe.

That being said, I have a RevSound 410 and it has plenty of mids. I certainly don't have to excessively push my mids to get my bass heard and out guitarist plays a 100w JCM800 full stack..... loud.

SwitchGear likes this.
  15. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    Whoa, cool! First I've seen that. How do you go about hooking it up to the rest of your rig?

16. With the GK800RB, it biamps perfectly because you hook up your lows to the 300W 4ohm side and the 100W 8ohm side goes to Klipsch.

when you use it with a “regular” amp, just run it parallel with the lows. It does not have high efficiency so it won’t overpower the woofer. Especially if you run it with a 4 ohm cab.

17. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I have experience with the Markbass cabs. They are all extremely mid-forward.

18. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    Ah, I see. Thanks for weighing in. It appears that it's true that I'm used to mid forward cabs and am now thrown off by a more neutral cab.

19. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    Interesting. They have quarter inch and/or speakon connects? As opposed to RCA or speaker wire?

20. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    This is a very considered and informed response. I share your enthusiasm about Klipschorns - I had the same GAS back then. I settled for a set of Tannoy Belvederes - still have them. They are supremely transparent and natural sounding. I hope the OP pays attention to what you have laid out here.