Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewind or buy new?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeB, May 24, 2005.

1. JoeB

JoeB

Dec 19, 1999
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Hey folks,

I am considering whether to repair (if possible), rewind or buy new and I need your feedback.

I have an old set of Seymour Duncan Hot P-Bass pups which I used to love. A couple years ago they developed an annoying intermittent crackling problem which my luthier could not troubleshoot so we decided to replace them with stock Fender P's, which solved the problem.

Lately though I've really missed the sound of the SD's and want it back. I have found a shop in town who say they can repair or rewind one the coils if necessary for a top price of $60 -maybe less.

Anybody ever had favourite pups rewound? I never have but I am a little afraid that if a rewind is necessary that it will not sound as good as before? Should I just replace them with new SD's for $95?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unless they're wound exactly to spec, they won't sound the same. If you want to be asured of the tone, but a new pickup.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Duncan still makes the hot P so personally I'd just pick one up used - they show periodically for under $50 - less than your rewind which you'll just be out if not successful. This way you'll at least have a pup you could turn around and sell with minimal loss if it's not what you had in mind - and you can still go for the rewind if it strikes you to do so. If you had a pup that was not still currently available, a rewind may be a consideration.

5. JoeB

JoeB

Dec 19, 1999
    Toronto, ON, Canada

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That's interesting. Thanks for the follow up.