1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rewire 4-10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dvdtlsn, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dvdtlsn

dvdtlsn

Apr 6, 2009
    Has anybody rewired a 4-10 8 ohm cab to run as 2 2-10s at 4 ohms? I am considering a 4-10 setup so that I can compete with the drummer with 1 cab....1-15 just falls a little short. The head is a Groovetubes preamp with an old QSC 1400 power amp rated at 200@8ohm/300@4 ohm per side.

Considering used pro line cab (eg SWR/Eden) which could stand for 600+ watts. If I run the cab @ 8ohm I would be limited to 400 watts with the power amp in bridged mono operation. Would I run into maximum displacement power limits? Budget wont allow for new amp at this point....

Tell me if I am crazy.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you bridge the amp you will get 600W into your 8Ω cabinet. In bridge each channel "sees" half the load connected to the amplifier. Thus each amp will "see" 4Ω and therefore produce 300W for a total of 600W.

Paul

3. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Actually, you should get 600 watts bridged into 8 ohms (each amp "sees 4 ohms in bridged mode"). Also found an owners manual on-line here:

http://ampslab.com/PDF/qsc_series1.pdf

Says the same thing for bridged mode.

Edit: Looks like BassmanPaul beat me to the punch. Anyway here's the manual that corroborates the assertion.

4. dvdtlsn

dvdtlsn

Apr 6, 2009
    Thanks, I guess I misunderstood the math w/bridged amp but makes perfect sense.

Is my thinking correct that I will get as much or more out of a single 4-10 cab with this amp as 2 1-15 cabs?