1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rewire of a CARVIN 810 bass cabinet?? Options??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Low Fat, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Low Fat

Low Fat

Sep 20, 2006
    Saint Louis
    I have a Carvin 810 cab...

I was considering on rewiring it for either a single 2 ohm output or two 4 ohm outputs.. I want to use the stock speakers.

Anyone know if this is possible??

reason is I want to utilize the full output of my Amp head @ 2 ohms = )

any help or advice would be appreciated!

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Can't do it, unless you change all the drivers out to either 4 ohms ea., or 16 ohms ea. I was going to do that at one time myself. I would go with a switch on the back, to change it from 2 ohms to 8 ohms, which is easily done, but the cost of buying 8 new drivers is the problem. My thoughts on it were to go with Eminence DeltaliteII's in that Carvin cabinet. 600 bucks for 8 of those, from Avatar, in 16 ohm versions, plus shipping. Expensive to do, but would make one hell of a nice , light, and powerfull 810 cab. Carvin's cabs are all birch ply const. too! Made right, and light. Now ya got me thinkin again!!

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    wire the left four 8 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohms.
    Wire the right 4 in series = 32 ohms.
    Put these in parallel and you get 1.9 ohms. Close enough to 2 ohms.

The left four will get most all the power, but it's spread across 4 drivers. The right four power will almost be negligible. For the left four, if you have a 400W amp, then each driver needs to be able to handle 100w.

The amp will put out it's max wattage, but in the end it may not be louder.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The drivers in that cab will fart out with much more than 35 watts each, so any efforts to deliver more than 300 watts into the cab are a waste of solder.

5. Low Fat

Low Fat

Sep 20, 2006
    Saint Louis
    LMAO... gimme a break man.... I've ran up to 500 watts in this cab and it NEVER farted out once....

6. I doubt you've run a full 500 watts through it.

Even if your amp is rated at 500 watts, it would not be putting 500 watts out unless its essentially clipping all the time.

I wouldnt knock Bill, he is one of the few here which knows exactly what he is talking about.

7. Low Fat

Low Fat

Sep 20, 2006
    Saint Louis

Didn't see that you said 35 watts each speaker... sorry man, I thought you meant 35 watts for the cabinet... My mistake, I appologize.