1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rewireing an active bass..good idea?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by beyondhairy, Jan 3, 2007.

1. i just got a schecter custom-4 and i love it, but i hate basses that have 2 volume knobs... i hear changing one of them to a balance would possibly affect the tone in a way for the worst... is this possible that replacing a volume knob with a balance knob could negatively affect my tone?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I've never heard that. One of my basses has a single volume pot and a blend (balance) pot, but I never mix the pickups. It's got a MM in the typical sweet spot (near the bridge) and a single-coil J in the neck position. I play one or the other, never a blend.

It makes sense theoretically that a balance pot (especially a cheap one) could cut some of the harmonics more than running them through individual volume pots. But I've never A/B'ed a 2-pickup bass to try it out.

I suppose the trick would be to use a blend control that is actually two concetric volume pots wound in opposite directions, rather than a single differential pot.