Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewireing Jazz Bazz for balance pot?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jani_bjorklund, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I would like to re-wire my Jazz Bazz with a balance pot instead of the two separate volume pots. In other words: One master volume, a balance pot and a master tone. I think it's posible to use a linear stereo pot for balance and wire it so there is no loss of volume while sweeping fron one mic to the other. Does anybody have any suggestions for the wiring?

2. Make sure to use a 500k master volume.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Below is the diagram of how to wire it.

Are you planning on using a regular linear stacked pot? If so, you will only have half output of each PU in the center position.

Most guitars with blenders have pots designed so that you have zero resisitance (full output) at the center detent.

[​IMG]

4. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    You are absolutely right Chasarms! I will need a special blendpot. What is the term used for describing and refering to a pot without resistance beyond the center dent? Where can I get these. Stewart Mc Donald?

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Stew mac has them, but unless you are ordering a significant amount of supplies, they can be cost prohibitive.

Allparts makes them. Any European Allparts destributor out to be able to get you one. I have always seem them refered to as a "blend" or "blender" pot. "Balance" might be another word.

I have never seen them in linear though, only log. (audio) I wouldn't worry over the volume issue using a log pot. It would be negligable IMO.

Chas

6. I found this diagram at guitarelectronics.com

[​IMG]

It might be helpful, I do not now the values of the balance pot though...but I think it must be either a dual 250K or a dual 500K. I am sure someone else knows this. :)

7. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Thank's Man! With this it's almost done allready!

Jani

8. Oh, well glad to help out! Hope you find the values of the pots needed. :) I think I will try it out if I buy a Jazz in the future. I will also wire it for series/parallel with help from a pull switch combined with the tone pot. Might be cool.

Guitarelectronics.com was a nice page with lots of wirings. Stumbled over it actually.. good luck!