1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rewiring a cab for biamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cristo, Apr 28, 2006.

1. So the crossover in my Avatar 210 cab blew (I think, since I bypassed it and the drivers still work.)

If the tweeter itself had fried, I should still get sound from the woofers, right? If it was shorting, my amp should redlight and cut output, and that's not happening. Just no sound at all.

I was planning to rewire it for GK HMS biamping anyway, and now I'm motivated to do that since the tweeter is gone and surprisingly I can tell the difference. And also I'd like to hear the HMS feature since it's part of the amp.

And I'm also going to assemble my own 4 conductor speakon cable.

So before I do it, have any of you folks done this, and are there any "critical steps" you could tell me about before I do it?

It looks pretty easy - (1+,1-) jack to woofers and (2+,2-) jack to tweeter, same with the wiring (obviously.)

I just wondered if anyone had any warnings...

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You still need a capacitor in series with the tweeter for DC and transient pulse protection. A 10uF 200 v poly should do it.

3. Thanks that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Is a passive crossover capable of blowing? I don't know what all the components are, and they look visually OK. I'm guessing then that maybe the cap is what died (if there is one on that crossover.)

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If it's one of the old models with a only a capacitor it wouldn't cause the woofers to die if it did crap out. If it's a newer true crossover with caps and coils you could blow it and have everything cut out, but a loose connection is more likely.