1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rewiring a cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jedwards, Oct 25, 2009.

1. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    I have a SWR SM500 and I like the tone I get from the amp, when going DI - but not when running through my cabinet. When I need to go to moderate volumes I lose some punch from the cabinet.

Right now I am running into a mesa boogie Road Ready cabinet (4x10) which is wired for stereo (2 x8 Ohms). If i remember correctly that gives me 150 watts per side from this amp, and I am wondering if I rewire to a single 4 ohm if I can expect to get some added punch and better dynamics at more volume.

If it matters, this is an older RR model (non-ported) with Eden drivers.

Thanks in advance for any educated opinions.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Are you running both "halves" of the cab now? I'd think there'd be no difference between running it with one cable at 4 ohms, or 2 cables at 4 ohms. More info needed.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Nope. It will remain the same.
    If this means that you like the tone going DI to the PA and not through your speakers that means its your speakers that are deficient.
    Sealed cabs require drivers with specific specs to work well. AFAIK Eden drivers do not have sealed friendly specs.

4. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    There are 4 16 ohm speakers - right now each half is at 8 ohms - all wired in parallel shoudl give me a single 4 ohm cab.

The amp is stereo, I am not bridging the two halves of the cabinet, but running it in stereo.

5. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    The Eden drivers are from the factory - they sounded great when I was running a separate power amp at 300w per channel at 8 ohms. Even now the cabinet sounds great at low volume.

Maybe it is just time for a new cabinet... and in that case I will rewire the cab anyhow, so I can run two cabs at 4 ohms each in stereo.

6. *nevermind* - mis-read above post

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you run the four drivers parallel they'll potentially get 125w each. As it is now they get 75w each, the difference there is only 2dB, best case. If you had better luck with 300w/8 channel than the 150w/8 that the SWR is capable of use the SWR bridged to put 400 watts into two drivers, another power amp to give at least 300w into the other two.

8. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    I think with this amp is is a bit different...
    here are the specs:
    Bridge/Mono Mode
    500 Watts @ 4 Ohms
    400 Watts @ 8 Ohms
    250 Watts @ 16 Ohms
    (minimum load = 4 Ohms)

Stereo Mode (per side)
    300 watts @ 2 Ohms
    250 watts @ 4 Ohms
    150 watts @ 8 Ohms
    (minimum load = 2 Ohms)

Currently I am running at 150w x 2 - vs 500Watts x1. If I understand this correctly this would be an increase from 75w per driver to 125 watts per driver.

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That's exactly what I said. The 2dB increase achieved will be hardly audible, while the added stress on the amp running at minimum load could shorten the amp life.

10. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    Sorry - I read your reply to quickly.