Rewiring a G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ninnlangel, Jan 25, 2006.

1. I just bought a G&L L-2500 and I am not so happy with the way the electronics are setup. I mostly miss a pickup paning pot. I'm considering the following rewiring scheme :

The volume pot doesn't change.
    The bass pot is replaced by pickup panning.
    The treble pot is replaced by a stacked bass and treble.
    The pickup selection switch is replaced by neck pickup humbucking / single coil toggle.
    The pickup general pickup humbucking / single coil toggle switch is replaced by bridge pickup humbucking / single coil toggle.
    The preamp on / off / on with boost switch remains the same.

Does this seem feasable ? Is there something special I should know before I start ? I'm not sure how to create the humbucking / single coil toggle switches, which switches to get, (on / off, on / on). Also, my understanding of the G&L electronics is that the treble is passive ?

Any help is welcome ! Thanks in advance,

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Have you actually opened the cavity yet ? I re-wired an L2K and I wouldn't consider what you propose ...
  3. Actually, I just did, and it looks like a huge mess.

How did you rewire yours ?
  4. Can someone help me figuring these electronics out ?
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd move slowly on this one. I feel the same way about the electronics, but the super high output of the pickups could cause major problems in mating with an onboard pre or EQ. Just make sure to verify that the components you choose are compatible, and make sure it is reversable in case you want to sell the bass someday.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you call G&L the service manager can fa you a wiring diagram. He did that for me and it was my bible when re-wiring the L2K. I don't remember the fellow's name. Maybe Tony ? I'm on the road at the moment but can fax a copy when I get back it that would be helpful. You might also want to check the G&L forum over at The DudePit as there are a few G&L fanatics over there. The stacked B&T will be pretty simple. I think the blend/pan is doable as well but I'm not certain how that get's wired in.

I love a blend/pan pot as well. Very useful contrl that is. let me know on the fax opy. Maybe I can find a place to get the thing scanned...
  7. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I have modded G&Ls. Be patient. First understand their wiring. Then methodically attack things. Your proposed setup would be pretty cool. You can order a three position 4PDT switch to throw in the series / parallel slot and get series / single coil / parallel.

Here's some info

I do not have a clean diagram, but with the open switch position you could get both double coil mods. PM me if you are interested. I think I got a diagram from another guy offline who ended up with a series / parallel thing. And in parallel he could select inside single coils and outside single coils. These combinations buck hum when both are used.

I have also comtimplated wiring a 25K pot so the preamp treble boost can be infinitely varied from the normal setting to the treble boost setting. That is fairly easy.

8. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004