1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rewiring a J bass to a volume/pan/tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by uethanian, Mar 22, 2009.

  1. uethanian


    Mar 11, 2007
    i currently own two basses, one a squire J, the other a warwick corvette. the corvette has a "volume/pickup pan/tone" knob setup that i prefer over the J bass "volume/volume/tone" setup. would it be possible, without having to buy to pots, to rewire the J bass like the corvette? i can open it up and give values if necessary.
  2. dean owens

    dean owens

    Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    you can't do it with the current pots. you will have to get a blend pot.
  3. JTE

    JTE Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    There IS a way to rewire a standard volume pot to make it work sort of like a bad blend pot. I did it for one of my students decades ago based on a schematic in Guitar Player Magazine (a few years before there WAS a Bass Player Magazine). It almost worked.

    But if you want it to be right, get yourself a real blend pot. Stewart-MacDonald is where I get mine. Check the pot's configuraton with your handy-dandy little VOM to make sure you hook the wires up correctly. There's two common problems with wiring a blend pot. First is that you hook the hots up to the wrong legs of the two pot gangs and instead of a blend, you get all or nothing. The other common problem seems to be hooking up the two PUPs out of phase so there's a noticable cancellation in the center. But if you wire it correctly with a good pot, it's a wonderful feature.


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.