Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring a jazz with balance control questions...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by weeks82, May 19, 2004.

1. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    Hi,

I want to rewire my bass with vol., blend, tone. I've found the diagram to do it. The pots are all a little scratchy so i wanna replace all of them. I know the originals are all 250k. I was wondering what value the blend should be (250 or 500) and should either the tone or volume values change ? Thanks.

-Brian

2. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I love jazz basses. I only wish they came with a single volume control for volume swells. I'll keep an eye on this one.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    keep the vol / blend / tone controls the same impedance if possible.

If you use 500K, you'll get a brighter sound as more of the highs will get through.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Two things: one is, you'll need one of the special "blend pots" that Bartolini (and others) sell. These are not like ordinary pots! Don't go to the store and get a dual 250k pot, it won't work. You need the special pot with the two resistance half-elements.

The other thing is, if you do this, you'll lose the ability to back off on both volume controls simultaneously. Some people couldn't care less about this, but some people use it as an essential part of their sound. J bass pickups feed the wipers of the volume controls (not the ends), so if your volume control is at any setting but fully open, it'll double as a tone control and you'll lose some extreme high end as you back off on it. If you leave the tone control fully open and just back off on the two volume controls, you'll notice you can dial up some useful sounds by using judicious combinations of the two volume controls. When you go to the blend pot, you lose this capability entirely. Just a heads-up...