1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rewiring Adventure / Half Success

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lleonard, Feb 22, 2008.

1. lleonard

lleonard

Aug 23, 2007
    Alright, so I have an 88 Guild Pilot with active PJ EMGs. I absolutely love this bass but it was time to do some maintenance. I bought some new pots, strings, strap locks - all the little things.

I decided rather than VOL-VOL-TONE I would move to a VOL-BLEND-TONE setup which has always made more sense to me. Anyway, after a few tries my wiring technique vastly improved and I did a more than decent job wiring it up. The connections looked good, it was time to plug it in.

When I played it at first everything sounded perfect, well grounded (no hum or buzz), I was stoked. Then I went to turn the vol and/or blend pots and it was still scratchy. Can new pots be scratchy? Any Ideas? Is it my wiring job?

I continued to play and it was sounding great until I really started to lay on the E string and my bass begun to distort. Only the E distorted and it was on any frets not just open string. Another note is that I don't hear the distortion when I pop only when playing finger style. Also if I use only the J pickup (blend out the P) it doesn't distort. Is it the pickup? Once again any ideas?

I really appreciate any help, tips or advice. I was very proud of doing this myself, I feel like I know a lot more about my guitar and I feel a bigger sense of ownership and pride with it. Anyway sorry for the book!

Take it Easy,

LLEONARD