Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring amps to lower impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbo, Nov 1, 2000.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Can I change a 410 cab from 8 ohms to 4 ohms by having it rewired. If so, is this expensive? Where can I have it done? Is it safe? Does it negate the manufacturer's warranty?

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I don't think it is possible... I was trying to figure it out last night on my cab and the closest ohmage I could come up with is 2 ohms when running all 4 speakers in parallel. I know my head isn't stable at 2 ohms.

Is it possible to wire a 2 ohm resistor in series with the speakers to produce 4 ohms. If so, what size/rating resistor would be needed?

3. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    If your speakers are 2 ohms : 2 in serie ( 2 speakers passive) = 4 ohm
    If your speakers are 4 ohms : 2x2 in serie then you put these into parallel = 4 ohms
    If your speakers are 8 ohms : 2 in parallel = 4 ohms
    If your speakers are 16 ohms : 4 in parallel = 4 ohms
    But you must be carefull for your Watts : if you put 2 speakers in parallel ex. both 300W you'll get 150 W
    so you must keep an eye on your amps output
    I hope thats clear; otherwise give me an é-mail .

4. Actually, if you have (2) 300 Watt speakers, and you parallel or series them, the result is rated at 600 Watts, not just 150 Watts.

Chris

5. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    Yes of course, thank you for the correction.

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    in my cab theres 4 speakers, and alot of wires hooking em up.. its 8 ohms.. but i wanna get soemtinbg done where i can use all 350 watts for my new amp instead of just 250.. but i cant afford another 8 ohm cab.. and i LOVE the sound of the one i ahve now. and cannott find another like it.