1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rewiring Bongo HH?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kaspar Vadsholt, Apr 13, 2006.

1. I'm a "dummy", when it comes to electronics, so please forgive me for this post....
    I have a Bongo 5 HH, and I was wondering if there was a way, I could rewire it into a hum-free single-coil bass. I really don't care for the clanky treble and the unfocused response of the parallel wiring, and I think that a series wiring would result in a way too muddy and hot output.
    I've heard of dummy humcancellers (no pun intended:D ), and was wondering if it can be done on this bass.
    My favourite tone these days is Jimmy Johnson's with James Taylor, but I can't afford an Alembic Series II:crying:
    I've tried to wire the neck P.U in single coil mode, and while I liked the tone, it was way to noisy.

Thank you!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you've already answered the single coil hum free question. Yes you could run a dummy coil to it and it should work, not something I've done so can't comment beyond that.

I have a Bongo pup, and although it's been a while since I've played it and don't know what your other variables are, "clanky" is not something I experienced. More a round wound thing and I play TI flats. It was basically a P toned version of an MM.

Mud has a lot to do with pup location. I've primarily played the Bongo in bridge position, I don't recall it being muddy. Series wiring at the bridge has not made pups muddy in my experience. I have played neck pups so seldom, I can't say what effect series would have but I could see where it would it tend to be more muddy in series and airy in parallel.