Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring cabs for different ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, May 2, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm thinking about upgrading my rig. I love my head, and don't want to get a new one right now. It handles a 4 ohm min load. I'm thinking about buying a used Bag End 2x10, but its a 4 ohm cab. The person selling it says he can rewire my 2- 8 ohm cabs to 16 ohms, so I can still run them with the bagend. does that means they will not be as loud? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this mod?

I posted this in another thread...I use a TE 250 7-band. I've been using Genzbenz cabs, a 2x10 and a 15. I like them, but I'm sick of carrying them around. I played 2 shows this weekend, and have a bunch of out-of-state shows coming up in May. I'm thinking about a different cab config, that would be smaller, lighter and just as loud. I need to be heard over 2 boogie half-stacks, and a loud drummer.

I've had major GAS for Bag End cabinets for a while. As great as it sounds, I don't think its going to be loud enough for me. I'd rather not get a power amp to run it, cause its more heavy gear to lug around.

Any suggestions?

2. Slipsen

Slipsen

Jan 11, 2005
    Sweden
    i have a 410 on 4ohm and a 115 on 8ohm, top can go down to 4ohm. i have remade the 410 to 16ohm, that was the only possible way to do it, read the manual to the cab, usually stands how you can change it there.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Ummm.... I think he is full of the smelly stuff.....

If you're referring to the GB cabs mentioned above, then a) your 15, if it's nominal 8-ohms, it is so because it has an 8-ohm 15" driver. There's no wiring trick that can make it a 16-ohm, short of wiring a dummy load resistor in series to throw away power by converting it to heat, or swapping the speaker itself.

And b) your nominal 8-ohm 2x10 can only have two possibilities: 1) a pair of 16-ohm drivers wired in parallel - changing to series will make this a 32-ohm, or 2) a pair of 4-ohms wired in series, where the only other option is to go parallel and make it a 2-ohm cab. Can't make it 16-ohm in either case with wiring alone.

You probably need more info, but from what I see, I think he's feeding you a truckload to get you to buy his cab....

4. Yes it's possible, but be aware that rewiring your drivers not only changes the overall impedance of the cab, but it also changes the crossover frequency to your tweeter. To avoid blowing tweeter after tweerer I'd disconnect it.

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks guys, hmm...sounds like a big hassle. I didn't make much sense when he was telling me. I admit, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to ohms. But, seems like it boils down to either getting a different cab (8 ohm), or adding power amp to run it.

6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    If he changed the parallel out (I assume it has one, if not, nevermind) to a series output, the two 8ohm cabs would present an overall load of 16ohms. Still not what you'd want for more volume with SS.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If he's talking about wiring a *combination* of cabs for 16 ohms, then yes, you could get that for the GB's together in series....

But then he still winds up with either 16x4 / 16+4, or 3.2 ohms total, too low for the head, using all three together (the 16-ohm combination in *parallel* with the 4-ohm Bag End).... or 16 + 4, or 20 ohms, if he puts the Bag End in *series* with the monster....

And with different drivers getting grossly dissimilar amounts of power... it just doesn't sound like something I'd want to do....

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    yes they have parallel outputs. I don't need more volume w/ my current setup. Thats not a problem. Its just that the trace w/ the bagend is such a great tone. But i don't think the 210 alone will give me enough bottom end.

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm probably better off getting a new/used BE 210-8 ohm. But i can get this used one for 300...a pretty sweet deal.