1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rewiring for biamp - Aguilar and GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan Caldwell, Apr 25, 2006.

1. I'm using an Aguilar GS 112 with a Gallien Krueger 700RB-II. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with rewiring the cabinet to take advantage of the GK's biamp capabilities. I would imagine it would be pretty simple to bypass the cabinet's internal crossover and connect the woofer and tweeter to the Speakon connector (already 4 connector). Any way to keep the 1/4" connectors as full range?

Any thoughts?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Bumpsky

3. I'm not sure exactly how you could keep the 1/4" jacks full range (using the crossover w/woofer & tweeter.) Probably there's a way you could wire in a switch.

But, if you properly connect woofer and tweeter to the 4 speakon terminals, I think you could connect the woofer only to the 1/4". Then you could drive the woofers through the 1/4', or biamp woofer/tweeter with the speakon.

4. Christo,

That was my thought. Just wondering if anyone here has done something similar. Thanks.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Bryan, I looked into that myself. I spoke with someone at Aguilar-who mentioned the woofer/tweeter cross-over point being close to 2.5 khz.

Hope that makes sense. I tried it with a Bergantino HT115 and the higher cross-over point was not compatible with the components in the Berg. It was too dull in the upper mids as a result. I think the GK bi-amp feature works better with GK cabs. The GK Neo 112 cab I have has more upper mids than the GS 112 which makes the bi-amp feature a better fit.

(due to the high cross-over freq 5khz-on the GK head, I found the horn lacking some crispness in the "dead zone" from the woofers natural roll-off point around 2khz. Annd the tweeter cutting in at 5khz as a result of a "hole" created by the new cross-over point made it less desireable for my tastes.)