Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring my bass stereo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jul 2, 2005.

1. I have a mexi P bass special wich is a PJ pickup setup. and I want to rewire it to have a stacked volume/tone for both pickups and a 3 way switch that would be bridge pickup both pickups or neck pickup. I would really like to do this myself t get some practice with working on elcetronics but I am not sure what all i will need. I know ill need a switch 2 stacked pots but do i need 250k or 500k pots? and i will need a stereo jack. Is there anything else I will need to do this? How would i go about wiring this? would i go to the switch first then the pots then the output? this is what seems logial to me but like I said this is my first job on electronics. Any advice is greatly appreciated

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Here's the wiring schematic for Rickenbacker 4003 basses, which are wired for stereo: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdf/19507.pdf

Basically the pickups go to the switch, and then each pickup signal has its own volume and tone pots, then it's off to the stereo jack (bridge pickup is the tip, neck is sleeve).

3. OK thanks man... do you know if they sell those parts at like a guitar center or do i have to send for them from warmoth or a similar place?

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004