rewiring my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by boombang, Nov 21, 2004.

1. boombang

Nov 21, 2004
    I am currently restoring my old 70's Antoria.

It was buzzing badly, the wiring is crap, switches, and rotational knobs knackered.

The setup is two sets of precision pickups with switches and volume for each, and a single tone control.

I am perfectly happy wiring it all up but need to know a couple of things if anyone can help!

What specification variable resistors are used in the volume controls?

How do I make another tone control (current one looks like variable resistor with a resistor across is) and what specs again.

Thanks in advance
  2. boombang

Nov 21, 2004

had no idea which section to post in :meh:
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    they should be 250K audio taper pots.
    As for the capacitor on the tone pot, 0.050µF and .100µF are common values used for bass. But you can play with different values and use the ones that get you the sound you want.
  4. boombang

Nov 21, 2004
    fantastic! ta for that.

At the risk of sounding stupid - can these be bought at Maplins (UK electrical compenent stores) or best from a guitar shop.

My two local guitar shops aren't an option really - one is owned by a really arrogant guy who I refuse to deal with, and the other is the place that borked my bass!

to add some more details (if relevant?):

its all passive stuff, this bass is going to be setup with bottom string tuned to C or D all the time.

what difference to sound would lower / higher farad caps give on the tone?

and finally, what about the make "dirtcheap?" they seem to be really cheap and claim to be good quality