rewiring my cab - should i do it??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OsQ, Jul 2, 2002.

1. OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    one day i started thinking and i think that was the day when it all started to go wrong...

i've a hartke 4.5xl cab and old swr studio220 amp - perfect combination soundwisely - but i can't get it loud enough. i haven't open my cab, but i assume that it houses 4x8ohm, total load is 8ohm.

how much louder the cab would get if i'd rewire to the 4ohm total load. or would my bunchyness decrease becourse of that arragement.

if you've experience in that kind of an space tech i'd like to hear your opinion before soldering...
  2. If the drivers are 8 Ohms each, then you can't rewire for 4 Ohms because the series / parallel combination of the 4 units will always = 8 Ohms.

By using just 2 of the 4, you could parallel them together for 4 Ohms. But then you've 2 drivers redundant.

I'd advise leaving things as they are inside the cab.

3. OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    as my amps minimum load is 2ohms...

i think it is possible to wire them for 2ohm - would it make any difference?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It MIGHT work, but you'd only get around 30% more power, noticeable, but not a big improvement.
    Better get an additional cab and/or a bigger amp.
  5. OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    as i'm VERY pleased to my current sound i'd be intrested to know how much my tone will differ if i'll buy a power amp(crest, crown or something - if they're any different from each other) and feed my speakers with that.

iow, does the power amp sound the same as the power section of my underpowered swr? there is a power amp out connection in my swr - so i'm able to feed pure swr preamp signal to the poweramp.

i've tried to play trough some poweramps, without my amps pre though, and they usually sound equally dull to me - sound is too clean - would my tube-pre-stage bring that life to my sound?

thanks in advance,
  6. Yes. 2 ohms is obviously possible with the 4, 8's in parallel. But you mentioned 4 ohms so I didn't mention 2;)

Not to split hairs or anything, but the 2 ohms rating of the amp is it's maximum load, not it's minimum.

I'm affraid I can't advise on sound quality vs different setups, simply because I don't know anything about commerical gear. :eek:

Here's what I'm doing because I like the sound of my setup (techies will, doubtless, be a amused by this :eek: :D)

I've just repaired and restore a vintage Laney 50 Watt valve amp. I really love the sound but 50 watts - 35 watts RMS in reallity - just isn't loud enough. So I run the Laney into a speaker, then pull off some of the signal from the speaker, reduce it, then feed it into a SS slave which runs another speaker. The result is a (virtually) exact replica of the "valve sound" but much louder!!!

The projects not complete yet, but has great promise...for me at least.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive got sorta a similiar question. A bass store guy once told me(totally dont know of this is true) that if he had the hartke xl series hed rewire it so it was basically 2 4ohm 2x10's that way he could push 350 watts out of a hartke 7000, which is what i have) versus onle 240. I have a hartke transporter and i was wondering if i could do the same thing? Would that be too much wattage for the transporter speakers?
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, it'd be its minimum load (lowest impedance), resulting in its maximum current, hence maximum power. Bad idea, anyway.
  9. OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    been there... with quitars it's more everyday job to reduce signal so that you're able to play with power stage distortion on your bedroom. i've also tried reduction to line level with one 30watt peavey + power reduction unit - result was quite not what i expected - sound that i was getting from SS was lacking dynamics and bunch.

if u(mr. rocking john) come up with something that reduces speaker signal back to line level without modifying tone - i'd be very keen to know about that.

and to mr. hyperlitem. if i'll divide my 8ohm speaker to 2*4ohms - iow i'd have two 2*10" 4ohm speakers with individual speaker ins - still my amp would meet total load of 2ohms (4ohm + 4ohm = 2ohm).

anyway i might just try that - if it really gives my 30% more bass. that'd be enough for me - i think?