Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring my Precision for bypass (need help ASAFP!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-end, Mar 21, 2002.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Hey guys I have been having trouble with my tone knob not working lately so I figured it was time to fix the wiring in my Precision bass. Right now its wired for the standard 1 volume 1 tone configuration. I want to permanently bypass these knobs so the wiring goes straight from the pickup to the output jack. Could someone either explain how I would go about wiring it like this or maybe provide a wiring diagram? Thanks.

By the way, if you read this and you know how to do it, please reply as soon as you can because I need to do this tonight and Im going to bed in a few hours and I need it wired for band practice tomorrow right after school. :eek:

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Please help I am running out of time! :eek:

I disconnected everything and there are:

2 wires coming out from my pickups, a white one and a black one.

1 wire connecting my 2 pickups.

1 central ground wire coming from a little hole that leads to the back of my bridge.

2 wires coming from the output jack, again, black and white ones.

Please help me figure out how to wire them together!!!

3. i'd also like to know how to do this...

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You may need some extra wire... disconnect the wires from the volume pot... connect the white wire to the positive lug of the output jack, (the one that runs to the prong that the tip of your cable pushes against), the black wire to the ground lug of the output jack, (the one that connects to the ring). That's all you need to do for a full bypass... I would run it so that no wires run to the pots at all... this means disconnecting the pickup AND the output jack from the controls. You'll also want to be sure that a wire runs from the grounding lug of the output jack to the grounding wire that runs to the bridge...

-robert

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    With a little help from the diagrams at StewMac and MS Paint...

[​IMG]

-robert

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    well what I did was I took the black wire that comes from my pickups and wired it to the tip of the output jack, and I wired the white wire from the pickups and the ground of the output jack to bridge.

It buzzes like crazy!! someone tell me why! :mad:

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Do it just like in the diagram...

-robert

8. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    the BLACK one touches the ground, and the WHITE touches the tip. reverse your wires.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Ok I wired everything like the diagram, plus I put another ground screwed into the wood inside the control cavity. Was that a good idea? I think I've seen some basses with that so I figured it couldn't hurt.

There is a lot of noise though. Could someone tell me how I can shield my bass a little bit better? The shielding in the control cavity looks a little spotty... :(

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You obviously forgot to reconnect the ground wire that's coming from the bridge.
    Reread rllefebv's post.

That ground screw you added is useless, since the screw isn't grounded at all - wood is (pretty much) non-conductive.

11. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    sorry if this isn't exactly the saem, but how would i wire if i wanted to get rid of the volume, but keep the tone?