1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rewiring on a J-bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grindmore, Jul 11, 2003.

1. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    ...so here is the deal, i play a 95 mim jazz bass. i keep my neck volume up, bridge volume down and tone up. I play in an extremely energetic rock band (www.ofquiet.com/bands/amandanoa) and often get tackled and such and find my knobs getting moved and then i come in with no sound. because of this, among other reasons i want to rewire my bass with the neck volume up all the way, bridge volume down all the way and tone up all the way. making it so i have no knobs to worry about. maybe add an on/off switch. any suggestions, tips, ideas????

2. have it wired so u have no knobs just switches like 2,one for each picup, like on and off.i forget how but its wicked easy todo u can remove the tone knob but have it sounding like its all the way up. since u dont use ur bridge pickup why dont u just remove it.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    just solder the black & white wires from the neck p/u straight to the jack. You might need to splice a little bit of wire in there just to reach but that's it ...

I have one bass that is wired that way except both p/u's go straight to the jack. That one is a project and I wired it up so that I could have a local repair guy cut a new nut and intonate for me as I'm too busy to do it myself. Sounded fine like that! When it get's back, it has a set of Seymore Actives and a Pre-amp to go with it so you and I are headed in slightly different directions there LOL!

One comment though, if you're playing in a room with a bunch of interfereence, it's a whole lot quieter with both p/u's wired up ... unless you're running a stacked humbicker that is ...